PDA

View Full Version : Windshear at less than 100' during landing

despegue
31st Jan 2013, 11:30
I very recently had an approach,with high winds, heavy showers and turbulence.
The aircraft was stable, and on profile, but at between 100' and 50', we got a windshear warning. As the aircraft was stabilised and on speed with normal thrust, we decided to continue, we were over the threshold by then, and a normal landing was performed.

During the debrief, I discussed with my FO if we should have gone around at low altitude less than say 80 feet, or if we were correct in continuing as the aircraft was under control without a dangerous speed loss or increase nor change in vertical profile.

Anyone else have experience in this situation?

Cough
31st Jan 2013, 11:45
Was this a windshear warning from a predictive windshear system ('windshear ahead, go around' type call) or from a reactive system ('windshear' x3 call)?

Piltdown Man
31st Jan 2013, 13:22
I know exactly where you are coming from. I'd be tempted to do exactly what you did but I also know that "big brother" is watching. So, accepting everything you are saying, on a subsequent approach I might even consider continuing and then snagging the windshear warning system. I am totally convinced that these systems are exceedingly over-cautious and also believe that they look at milliseconds rather than seconds' worth of data, which results in far too many unnecessary go-arounds.

PM

BOAC
31st Jan 2013, 13:28
It is not unknown to have an Ops Manual 'alleviation' where such 'windshear' might be expected (eg 'Laker's Revenge' LGW) and the aircraft is reasonably stable to 'ignore' the warning.

Sciolistes
6th Feb 2013, 06:44
Hmm, I haven't experienced such an event other than during takeoff. But I'd be tempted to land too.

However, at the comfort of my desk and mulling it over a coffee, it would seem to me that the least risky option would be to throw away the landing with a windshear maneuver, at least until you are satisfied that all is well. I think at 80 feet it could be difficult to assess if you are due for a hard or a long landing in good time with space to play with, which would seem to be the most insidious of the risks.

despegue
11th Feb 2013, 08:57
Thank you all for the replies and opinions.
The moment we stop learning and stop asking for other opinions, we need to retire...