PDA

View Full Version : Avbrief

long final
19th Apr 2002, 11:29
Having seen the other Avweb topic, I was reminded that I had a look at the avbrief site and was considering signing up. Can anyone offer opinion on the service, as it seems that most of the info can be gained free from Met.com.

Thanks
LF

Holdposition
20th Apr 2002, 21:46
Your quite right....it can, don't see the point of signing up at all, but no doubt Mr Seager et al will try to convice otherwise.

long final
20th Apr 2002, 21:53
Didn't know Mr Seager had his hand in that pot. Nothing wrong with that, just didn't know. Taking that there have been so many views of this topic but only one response, I shall take it that not too many have signed up.
Think I will stick with the met.com
LF

IanSeager
20th Apr 2002, 22:05
Evening all...

I can think of quite a few good reasons, but I don't think that PPRune would be too happy with me if I used their bandwidth to sell Avbrief subscriptions.

drop me an email if you want the hard sell :-)

Have fun

Ian

:)

BRL
22nd Apr 2002, 12:21
OI......!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Chilli Monster
22nd Apr 2002, 16:24
One thing to bear in mind is this:

Before the advent of AVBRIEF you had to pay quite a bit for met information from the Met Office, and that wasn't as much information wise as you can get from them now.

So - ask yourself this. Do you freeload from the Met Office and then, if everyone did that AVBRIEF would cease to be, so the Met Office would then be back to the monopoly that would enable them to charge what they wanted;

OR

Do you pay the (IMHO) reasonable subscription to AVBRIEF, where you get airfield as well as weather data, and keep things from returning to what they were before.

It often pays to think big picture ;)

(And no - I'm nothing to do with AVBRIEF but have subscribed since its inception and am very pleased with the service).

CM

CAHLIBAHN_MK2
22nd Apr 2002, 18:03
Chilli Monster has beaten me to it so I will simply second his wise words :)

Wrong Stuff
22nd Apr 2002, 18:28
Other than the met, what else does the service provide? (Presumably anyone other than Ian can reply :rolleyes: )

Keef
22nd Apr 2002, 20:05
It's been said, but before there was an Avbrief, the only way to get Met was to pay very silly amounts of money to the monopoly provider.

So I joined Avbrief. And the service has been excellent, with little enhancements all the time, and I'm staying with them.

Now, WAP access to WX when out and about - that IS something to write home about!

Stubbs
22nd Apr 2002, 20:48
met.com :confused: turns out to me a theatre related link. Can someone tell me the URL for the aforementioned web site?

I've also been thinking about joining avbrief, but would like a quick compare before I decide. I think they also have rainfall radar that is on trial - its continuation will depend on number of subscribers, I guess due to the costs involved with paying met office for these images.

Does the avbrief info about ADs contain more details (and more ADs) than the UK AIP/AD web site?

Courtman
23rd Apr 2002, 18:21
There is another way! If you e-mail me I will send you the link for a WAP site which allows you to gain METARs, TAFs and Long TAFs for airfields worldwide! Its pretty up-to-date, and easy to use.

And its free.....!

Final 3 Greens
23rd Apr 2002, 19:15
Support Avbrief guys, Tom Dawes Gamble laboured for years to provide a free weather site and now deserves the thirty five quid a year for this site.

long final
24th Apr 2002, 14:39
ok ok, signed up, thirty quid lighter. I do like how it saves me rooting for info on long distance trips.
LF

Stubbs
24th Apr 2002, 17:42
I signed up too - quite good. Can't wait to use it for "real".

valenii
26th Apr 2002, 20:30
I'd like to know the WAP TAF and METAR service.

I work at Sky Interactive, and we have a WML browser in the SKy digibox. It would be fun to use from the office!

Can you mail me the URL?

mailto:[email protected]

Cheers

Ian