PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Air currently training European guys ?

Stratocaster
19th Apr 2002, 08:56
I didn't know exactly where to put this topic. I tried to get an answer in the "Freighter dogs" forum but with no success. It's not a rumor because I'm sure the training IS taking place as we speak, so I post it here.

I didn't follow Atlas Air very closely for the last months but according to what I can find on PPRuNe things are not going very well. Stored aircraft, dry-leases (TNT), furloughs, etc.

So I'm pretty much amazed by the fact that Europeans are now currently attending a 747 course (they're in Florida right now and will move to some other place later on). I guess it means they'll fly for AACS, right ?

Could somebody explain me why they train foreigners and furlough Americans at the same time ? If I understood correctly, the new hires were requested to have an FAA license, which is a bit confusing for me since they're not really supposed to fly on N- aircraft (so who care what type of license they have ?). Are those guys paying for the training ? Do they have a garantee that Atlas will hire them ?

I thought for a minute that they would fly for TNT, but they're in charge of the crewing and I don't see the point of Atlas Air doing interviews and selection on behalf of TNT.
:confused:

lefrancaoui
19th Apr 2002, 10:10
1. They do need FAA licences since AACS operates US registered aircrafts.

2. The training is paid for. They heve a bond.

3. Furloughs concern the american market. AACS has loads of contracts going in and out of Europe, so they need to hire Europeans, ever heard of imigration rules? well they don't only apply to Europeans willing to work in the US :D

Stratocaster
19th Apr 2002, 10:26
Okay, thanks. Things are getting much clearer now.

I didn't know AACS operates N- aircraft, I thought they were EU-registered. It also explains why U.S. unions are so pissed off. :rolleyes:

Did the new-hires receive a bulletproof jacket for the length of their stay in the States? :D

lefrancaoui
19th Apr 2002, 11:50
For info, Atlas has 49% on this airline called GSS (2 747-400) with British registration. they fly only on a BA contract.

You're right , the guys training in the US need a bulletproof jacket. Atlas / AACS is really not a happy airline (been there done that never again :D )

There is a strange process with AACS : they hire and fire constantly........:)

Intruder
20th Apr 2002, 03:30
Last I knew, GSS still does not have an operating certificate.

G-GSSA has been leased by Atlas to GSS (the shell company), and GSS has leased it back to Atlas. It is operating under Atlas' US certificate by US-licensed Atlas (US & STN based) pilots.

Whether GSS will ever get off the ground, and how long it will survive if it does, is anyone's guess...

lefrancaoui
20th Apr 2002, 07:21
Yes, GSS has a lot of trouble starting. Atlas mangement thought that to register an aircraft in the UK you just have to paint a new registration number. Every month they say "GSS will start next month". It's a never ending story with more episodes than Dallas and Dynasty together :) ;) :)