PDA

View Full Version : RT phraseology creeping into everyday conversation

RTN11
27th Jan 2013, 21:40
Does anyone else find RT phrases creeping into everyday converstion?

I find myself saying "say again" an awful lot, and never really say pardon anymore.

Affirm and negative also occasionally creep in without thinking.

Worse still is the very rare slip of wilco into normal converstion, usually met with a very confused glare.

fujii
27th Jan 2013, 22:25
Of course it does. You spend up to one third of the day in your job where you use the phraseology. It happens with most jobs. It may be more prevalent in jobs like ATC where it is almost continuous talking compared others where it may be on on a keyboard all day. It's the same as a someone speaking another language. They'll sometimes drop in native words or phrases when speaking English.

Tigersaw
27th Jan 2013, 22:36
I tend to get 'stand by' and 'go ahead' during normal phone conversations from some of my work colleagues

Spitoon
28th Jan 2013, 04:33
Do it all the time. Have done for years. No different to idiomatic language from friends in other industries. What's the problem? Over.

Check Airman
28th Jan 2013, 04:48
At the drive through yesterday, I made a large-ish order for 4 people. I was waiting for the readback when I realized where I was. I still asked him to read it back anyway.:)

Not that it made any difference, because in the end, they messed up my order.

stevep64
28th Jan 2013, 05:04
Back when morse was the main means of radio comms, operators used HI to signify they found something funny, sort of an early version of LOL. FB, meant something was good (fine business).

It's not unusual these days to hear old timers actually say both of those phrases during voice comms, even face to face. It sounds ridiculous to those of us that got their licence after the morse requirement was removed, hearing someone saying "hi hi" instead of laughing.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Jan 2013, 07:10
Yep.. I am a radio ham as well as (was) an ATCO. Once or twice I said "HI" on the R/T, which was met by silence from the crew! I used to get the odd "73" from pilots who knew me and were also hams.

FantomZorbin
28th Jan 2013, 10:23
Frequently ... only aware of such transgressions when 'Management' treads on a very painful corn :{

rolaaand
28th Jan 2013, 11:27
I manage not to use it in normal conversations. Where I have found myself dropping in the odd roger or affirm/negative is in official telephone conversations with insurance, dvla, credit card companies etc. I don't know why,but I think it's because I swap my local dialect for my "telephone voice", just like I do at work.

Frunobulax
28th Jan 2013, 13:29
"Correction" happens to me a lot. As well as "niner" and "tree" :)

Eau de Boeing
28th Jan 2013, 16:10
Ok then, here's a challenge for all of you using the reverse.

Next time you have to phone up for a car insurance quote, spell your name to a bank call centre etc, try using non-standard phonetic alphabet. It is f*cking impossible!

Arthur, Beans, Chav etc.......

:E

jackieofalltrades
28th Jan 2013, 16:49
I once had an argument with someone in a call centre about using non-standard phonetics. I was in an obstinate mood, and it amused me.

Call centre: "So your code is Apple Mum Sugar Sixty"
Me: "Do you mean Alpha, Mike, Sierra, Six, Zero?"
"Uh, uuhhh, is that Apple Apple...."
"Let me help you: Alpha, Mike..." Etc

I kept it going for quite sometime before she finally gave up and copied what I was saying.

reportyourlevel
28th Jan 2013, 18:20
Ok then, here's a challenge for all of you using the reverse.

Next time you have to phone up for a car insurance quote, spell your name to a bank call centre etc, try using non-standard phonetic alphabet. It is f*cking impossible!

Arthur, Beans, Chav etc.......

I quite enjoy the old xylophone, gnat, Oedipus, ptarmigan etc. take on this...the silent letters really confuse them!

eagleflier
28th Jan 2013, 20:00
'Say again' and 'standby' have become part of my everyday conversations. Everyone I chat with regularly now know what wilco means.

b.a. Baracus
29th Jan 2013, 13:55
'Say again' features now and then, sometimes 'Stand by' too!

fisbangwollop
29th Jan 2013, 14:49
RTN11...I find myself saying "say again" an awful lot,

have you thought about investing in a hearing aid...they are quite neat little devices nowadays! :cool::cool:

Ninja Controller
29th Jan 2013, 21:25
The real problem is with everyday conversation creeping into RT phraseology.

NacelleStrake
29th Jan 2013, 23:21
'Copy that' in my text messages...........

Ditchdigger
29th Jan 2013, 23:35
It's Mrs. Ditchdigger that is the ATC, but I've found that a simple "Roger" is a very useful tool in some domestic communications.

ATC Watcher
30th Jan 2013, 06:18
Reminds me of the old joke about a controller having an affair with the neighbour's wife ( a banker) ,and that end up in court for a divorce claim:

Judge : Madam, can you confirm that you never had an affair with this gentleman ?
Wife : "Affirm !"

Minesthechevy
30th Jan 2013, 08:55
I was once in the unfortunate/fortunate position of reporting a traffic incident where some pleb joyrider was endangering a High Street and its occupants. I attempted to give the operator the registration number using the phonetics and was met with 'OOO, that's police talk, you're not supposed to use that'.

As Homer would say, 'D'oh!':ugh::ugh::ugh:

JustaFew
3rd Feb 2013, 19:42
After a few years as an assistant, once answered the phone at home with, 'xxxx air traffic flight clearance.......oh sh!t....no it's not.....'.

Fortunately, the caller was a fellow assistant. Who was laughing helplessly :O

PositiveClimbGearUp
10th Feb 2013, 07:01
When discussing financial matters, I sometimes hear myself (normally for clarification) quoting a figure as, for example, one two five decimal nine nine. Of course it normally confuses the issue rather than clarifying it!

Ralis
10th Feb 2013, 08:53
All clear or clear left when in a car with someone even when they havent asked for it, come to think anytime anything is being moved.

Increased gravity due to alcohol gets a 'Too Low Terrain' :ok:

supraspinatus
13th Feb 2013, 07:19
Haha!

I remember calling abroad a couple of years ago. Exactly the moment I greeted "Good afternoon" I remembered the time difference and corrected myself: "ehh. correction, good morning!".

I was replied with a couple of seconds of akward silence and a "yes, it is morning, sir."

Another thing is readback. I have several times asked waiters, bank employees, etc for readbacks.
Readbacks are actually quite handy!

Artie Fufkin
13th Feb 2013, 08:09
Bought an old banger off a friend and found after an hour or so drive that the low oil light came on. I topped up, but it remained on. I phoned him up to ask whether this was a known fault on the car. "All other tees and pees are in the green" was met with confusion.

On arriving at the Hoover Dam in the US, signs were up on the roads giving the frequency of a local radio station dedicated solely to giving visitor information. I asked the other half "do you want to get the ATIS".

Standby, go ahead and most regularly say-again are all faults of mine.

So glad it's not just me.

chaps2011
13th Feb 2013, 10:03
Having worked in airline reservations have always used phonetics, so much easier.

chaps

skyman01
13th Feb 2013, 22:16
HaHaHaHaHaHa!

proxus
17th Feb 2013, 16:02
....And the old joke about the pilot getting tired of his wife who was accusing him of having an affair:
"I told you once, I told you twice, I told you NINER THOUSAND TIMES, NEGATIVE ON THE AFFAIR".

Midland 331
17th Feb 2013, 18:32
Oh dear. I thought it was just me...

My 16-year-old lad is sick of me asking him to "Call when ready" when I'm giving him a lift somewhere and waiting to leave the house.

I often ask my wife to "squawk ident." when I don't know which room she's in.

"Report Cabin Secure" used to feature lots when I had a nine-seat 4x4 chock-full of ankle-biters.

Sadly, reversing out of a parking bay is often referred to as "push-back". This seems bizarre when used in the car park at Aldi. (Her) "What are you waiting for?". (Me) "I'm waiting for that Mini to come out of the cul-de-sac, then I'll be clear to push". Sadly spotterish.

I actually find the phrases usefully concise and precise.

ImnotanERIC
17th Feb 2013, 19:17
Other than the phonetic alphabet which is useful for dealing with some of the clowns working in call centres there is no excuse for any other aviation terminology in every day life. Cringe cringe cringe.