PDA

View Full Version : Picture taking over Russia

JammedStab
20th Jan 2013, 03:31
Is it true that the Russian AIP forbids picture taking over Russian territory while in flight. It was mentioned on another forum by a pilot transiting.

fdr
20th Jan 2013, 04:17
as does China & ROK... presumably so too for Greece:}

paulmoscow
20th Jan 2013, 05:01
And how exactly you are going to enforce this?

Aksai Oiler
20th Jan 2013, 06:28
Have taken plenty of pictures over the years

nitpicker330
20th Jan 2013, 06:37
Taiwan ROC prohibits the display in the cabin of the external cameras!!

Kulverstukas
20th Jan 2013, 07:11
Why? May be 25 years ago?

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/4706/6154164.b3/0_63028_133cae92_L.jpg (http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/alex3saaba/view/405544/)

Check Airman
20th Jan 2013, 07:39
What exactly is that a picture of?

BOAC
20th Jan 2013, 07:44
When you dive into various AIPs you will find the restriction is not uncommon, thus probably rendering part of my photo collection...............

All make a little anachronistic by satellite imagery.

jcjeant
20th Jan 2013, 07:55
In India it's forbidden to take photos of bridges (from the sky or from the ground) as they are classified as "strategic assets"

skianyn vannin
20th Jan 2013, 08:06
I believe it is also forbidden in Belgium. That is because it would be a waste of film.:p

Mikehotel152
20th Jan 2013, 08:16
What exactly is that a picture of?

The Iron Curtain?

Mikehotel152
20th Jan 2013, 11:32
Beautiful buildings.

hetfield
20th Jan 2013, 11:34
One of Putin's smaller resorts.

jcjeant
20th Jan 2013, 11:37
I one follow strictly the law (law common in many countries) it's forbidden to take photos from an airplane or other aerial means (for commercial purposes)
For take such photos you must be accredited photographer for aerial photography
It is a kind of protection for the profession

bluecode
20th Jan 2013, 12:01
There are a lot of laws relating to aerial photography that can trip up the unwary.

Someone recently went to a lot of trouble to produce a very nice airfield guide illustrated with aerial photos taken by the PPL author. Then someone pointed out the rules pertaining to aerial photography for commercial purposes. :uhoh:

Oops, and it got worse. But that bit will remain a secret.:E

High Energy
20th Jan 2013, 12:11
Same with Yemen.

clunckdriver
20th Jan 2013, 12:16
So I gues I was breaking various laws when much younger and sucking pure O2 for hours on end, Oh, I forgot, the subjects of our photos are now valued trading partners and they do all the spying!

KeMac
20th Jan 2013, 12:24
Interesting. I visited Russia (Ekaterinburg) for the first time in July last and the Finnair flight flew south of both the main airport and the GA field (Uktas),
The aircraft then turned to make its approach over what looked like a military facility - watchtowers, high fencing and railway lines into long thin sheds. We were very low and right over it and I was strongly tempted to take a few pictures as the Russian military has always interested me but thought better of it in case someone saw me. I did some digging around when I got back and figured this must have been Kosulino-1 which is for railborne either MRBMs or ICBMs. It was also the site where Gary Powers was shot down from. Knowing the Russian mania for security I didn't fancy an extended stay there. With Satellite imagery I don't know why they bother with all these restrictions.

paulmoscow
20th Jan 2013, 14:30
With Satellite imagery I don't know why they bother with all these restrictions.
There's a saying here that the strictness of the law is offset by its non-mandatory obedience.

con-pilot
20th Jan 2013, 15:35
Once during a refueling stop in Mumbai, my passengers got off the aircraft and started taking pictures, the handler immediately stop them, saying that the taking of photographs was forbidden. We were parked on a very remote stand with no other aircraft around, just a few buildings.

So the owner of the aircraft got back inside the aircraft and asked if he could take pictures out of the cabin windows, the handler said 'yes'.

Don't ask me the difference, all I know is that the owner and his wife took a hell of a lot photos than they had planned to, all out of the cabin windows, both while we were parked and taxing out.

Hell, I even took a couple my self. :p

Heathrow Harry
20th Jan 2013, 16:38
and don't photograph the LAN Chile A320 at Mt Pleasant .... they get very upset

(God knows why - the VC-10 is parked every day in the same position that can see on Google Earth....)

compressor stall
22nd Jan 2013, 03:59
Not a good idea to carry around printed sat pics of Russian terrain either. Especially when you stumble out of the wilderness into an unfenced ICBM base....

Had some explaining to do there!

A Squared
22nd Jan 2013, 05:36
Most people don't have to worry about encountering that particular scenario.

cavortingcheetah
22nd Jan 2013, 07:44
Good Grief! I do believe that you can be arrested in London for taking a photograph of Big Ben. It's something to do with the prevention of terrorism act which, considering the number of terrorists floating around Britain on benefit, is a trifle droll.

mad_jock
22nd Jan 2013, 08:16
You can laugh but one FO thought it was a good idea to take a photo with lots of sand around the aircraft.

There was a bit of commotion as you would expect and the fancy phone removed. It was then found the google map pic on it of the airport which said FO had to aid taxing and briefing. Bit to much detail including mil base off airport.

Thankfully the local security commander had been to Sandhurst took us into the office yelled very loudly in English asking how we both were and where we were from for 30 mins. And sent us on our way including smart phone.

Walking back to the aircraft the FO just said "I am a stupid :mad:"

Which was exactly how my debrief was going to start so I left it at that.

Tableview
22nd Jan 2013, 08:22
Nepal too apparently ..... so all those photos taken on flights round Everest, Annapurna, Macchupuchare (sp?) etc. illegal?

The SSK
22nd Jan 2013, 09:14
I recall a long time ago (seventies I guess) the Cubana flight from Havana to Montreal was permitted to overfly the US along a strictly defined corridor. At one stage the IL-62 drifted off track and overflew somewhere sensitive – the airline got a warning. A couple of weeks later it did it again in the same place, and got a stern warning. A couple of weeks later it did it a third time, and the overflight authority was suspended. It’s a long way from Havana to Montreal, avoiding US airspace.

FLCH
22nd Jan 2013, 15:32
Belfast too, got roundly bollocked for taking a photo of the 757 I was flying with my FO standing by the nose wheel.

oldpax
22nd Jan 2013, 16:55
Got a load of Yusnho airport on Sakhalin island.But they dont like you taking them from the terminal!Used to be military ,think this is where the MIG that shot down the Korea airline plane came from.There is a MIG 21(?)down town in the museum.