PDA

View Full Version : R88/D - METAR, state of the runway

hvogt
18th Jan 2013, 13:20
Dear fellow PPRuNers

Can someone tell me what the 'D' in the following runway state message is supposed to signify? ICAO Annex 3 and WMO Manual on Codes yield nothing. I guess it might even be a German or regional EUR/NAT thing, but so far I couldn't find any explanation.

EDDH 181350Z 08008KT 9999 -SN BKN014 BKN031 M01/M02 Q1013 R88/D NOSIG

Looking forward to your replies.

BOAC
18th Jan 2013, 17:35
Pretty sure R88 means all runways. Normally part of a SNOTAM. Not come across /D before. Will search.

hvogt
18th Jan 2013, 17:47
Thank you, BOAC. Nothing in the AIP by the way.

BOAC
18th Jan 2013, 18:48
This (http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/108) will help with 'R88' but I am still unsure of 'D'

hvogt
18th Jan 2013, 20:28
It's awfully nice of you to spend so much time thinking about my question. I should have mentioned earlier the meaning of 'R88' was clear. Incidentally, it is not explicitly prescribed by SARPs but by Attachment A to the EUR ANP, Volume II, FASID, Part III - AOP. Unfortunately, said Attachment does not help with the 'D' either.

I was beginning to think it might be a typo (perhaps 'R88/CLRD' was meant), but a search for historical METARs has disproved this assumption. Besides, my idea the 'D' might be a German thing is apparently not true since I could find a METAR from Zurich containing the very same 'R88/D'.

BOAC
18th Jan 2013, 20:41
It's awfully nice of you to spend so much time thinking about my question. I should have mentioned earlier the meaning of 'R88' was clear. Incidentally, it is not explicitly prescribed by SARPs but by Attachment A to the EUR ANP, Volume II, FASID, Part III - AOP. Unfortunately, said Attachment does not help with the 'D' either. -aaahhh! Yres - I see that now! :sad: That's a bit like wetting your nappy - you get a nice warm feeling for a few minutes and then..................... :)

Yes, 'D' escapes me. I suggest a call/email to EDDH to ask - would appreciate any answer. I initially thought 'Dry' until I saw the wx and it is not 'T' anyway.

hvogt
18th Jan 2013, 21:37
Sorry to have spoilt your nice warm feeling. Still, thanks for the link.

I suggest a call/email to EDDH to ask - would appreciate any answer.I'll give them a buzz and ask. Will keep you informed.

hvogt
19th Jan 2013, 13:27
I have just phoned the MET offices in Hamburg (EDDH) and Bremen (EDDW). It seems the 'R88/D' is indeed a mistake. The two very helpful officers to whom I have spoken were kind enough to check a number of recent METARs containing the relevant runway state message, and it appears they had all been issued as 'R88/CLRD//'.

BOAC
19th Jan 2013, 13:32
Thank you - as suspected. Nappy now dry and warm.

AyrTC
20th Jan 2013, 07:06
According to one of the Snowtam Apps I have, RD in the depth section indicates depth unknown in the MOTNE code. Although I had never heard of RD before.

Rgds
AyrTC

Pilot E190
25th Sep 2016, 07:03
Hello I'm also saw this METAR code all clear except R88/D I think that it's DAMP who can help?? Thank..:)

krvs
3rd Feb 2022, 15:17
If RVR trends can be measured then U, D, or N will follow the RVR value to indicate increasing, decreasing or no change respectively.

Denti
4th Feb 2022, 09:02
If RVR trends can be measured then U, D, or N will follow the RVR value to indicate increasing, decreasing or no change respectively.

True, but in what world has that any relevance in a (very old) thread about runway states?

Victorsgo
22nd Feb 2024, 11:26
Can I contact Administration?
It is about advertisement on your website.
Thank.

Cough
28th Feb 2024, 18:16
Try the 'contact us' link in the bottom of each page - It's in the yellow banner.