PDA

View Full Version : CPDLC information required please...

Jet Jockey A4
16th Jan 2013, 12:55
Moderators feel free to move this thread to the proper location if required...

Looking for any information on CPDLC usage specifically on the initial radio contact with centres where CPDLC is used.

Are there specific radio protocols on initial contact with Gander or Shanwick when you use CPDLC? If there is a proper protocol where could I read up on it?

When you do a CPDLC position report, should you get an acknowledgement from Gander or Shanwick that they did indeed get that position report?

Is it normal with Gander to get the following message (as seen on our FMS);

"Free text... Message not supported by this facility"

Any other information or links to CPDLC information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

wiggy
16th Jan 2013, 15:06
Hi

This might help , especially section 4 and most especially section 4.2 and 4.3

http://www.worldairops.com/NAT/docs/NAT_DatalinkGuidanceMaterialv19.1_atWorldAirOps.com.pdf

When you do a CPDLC position report, should you get an acknowledgement from Gander or Shanwick that they did indeed get that position report?

No, but if Gander/Shanwick don't get the automated message you'll either get a CPDLC message telling you send one manually or you'll hear the ding dong of the selcal :eek: followed by a gentle :ok: reminder via HF voice....

Is it normal with Gander to get the following message (as seen on our FMS);

"Free text... Message not supported by this facility"

Not normal with our "kit".

Jet Jockey A4
16th Jan 2013, 15:52
Wiggy thanks for the info...

Been getting some useful info from another thread posted elsewhere on PPRune and I spoke to the manager of oceanic operations at Gander about an hour ago and this is what came up from the conversation I had with him...

"Waiting on documents from Gander which will be sent by the manager of the Gander facility later on today.

He clarified a few things for me. The reason I'm getting the "no free text message" is that when in the Gander FIR with your ADS-C system logged in and functioning you are not required to manually "send" a position report the ADS does it automatically.

Sending the position report manually by using the "send" key fools the system and the no free text message appears.

So it seems that while with Gander and Shanwick with ADS working all position reports are done automatically."

MarkerInbound
16th Jan 2013, 16:54
Way more CPDLC information than a pilot can use:

http://www.icao.int/APAC/Documents/edocs/GOLD_1st_Edition.pdf

But it does include a list of CPDLC log on IDs and procedures. Shanwick and Gander are a bit out of the norm as they do not want a manual position report when you enter their airspace, most FIRs do as a test that the connection is working.

valtrent
11th May 2013, 17:46
I fly a Global Express worldwide and just had Datalink installed, took our first trip from the west coast US to England and all worked great. But we're doing an around the world trip next week and I'd like to check datalink notams for our trip, as well as to know in advance which FIRS do not have Datalink service.

I'm having a problem finding a one stop shop to get all the FIR notams along the way for CPDLC, procedures, etc. I've been into GOLD but that book is only as good as the last update, and I have the most current which is still in draft form.
I've also seen the Defense Internet Notam Service ( https://www.notams.faa.gov/dinsQueryWeb/ ) and I get a ton of notams but can't sift for CPDLC.
Anyone have a better place I can go?
Thanks in advance.

HSC
4th Jul 2013, 14:38
There is an App called iNATS that you might find useful, :)