PDA

View Full Version : Canadian airspace emerg procedures?

overstress
16th Jan 2013, 11:16
Can someone point me to a link explaining emergency procedures in Canadian upper airspace? i.e. if unable to maintain altitude in event of engine failure, is it similar to North Atlantic - 15nm offset, 45 degree turn etc?

Onceapilot
16th Jan 2013, 12:19
Like any airspace, refer to the national procedures. In this case, search transport Canada, its online.

overstress
16th Jan 2013, 13:42
Hmm - realised that, looking at the en-route pages right now, but can't find the reference to my question...

Corax
17th Jan 2013, 01:54
sqwak 7700 if no radio contact, call ATC as soon as practicable. Not big deal.

ahramin
17th Jan 2013, 02:44
There are no special procedures. Squawk 7700 and call ATC. Obviously on an airway or route in non surveillance airspace it would make sense to get off the airway but there are no special procedures published by Transport Canada.

If you are looking for Canadian procedures, I would start here:

TP 14371 - Transport Canada Aeronautical Information Manual (TC AIM) - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/tp14371-menu-3092.htm)

overstress
17th Jan 2013, 22:33
Thanks all. Over Canada this Sunday, UK snow permitting.

FlightPathOBN
17th Jan 2013, 23:04
with the average age of the fleets up there, inflight emergencies are probably very routine.... :eek:

nitpicker330
17th Jan 2013, 23:11
Canada uses the standard ICAO procedure:--

Aircraft requiring rapid/emergency descent or diversion within RVSM airspace (except China/ DPRK) should leave the assigned route by turning at least 45° right or left, and acquire a track offset, which is the mid-point from the adjacent parallel track for all regions except Middle East and Oceanic regions. The offset for the Middle East region is 25 NM, while the offset for Oceanic regions is 15 NM. The initial direction of the turn will be determined by the relative position of other aircraft, adjacent airways and terrain. When an aircraft is able to maintain its assigned level and has deviated by 10 NM from the original track centreline, then climb or descend to a level 500 FT different from the normally assigned by ATC. When an aircraft is unable to maintain its ATC assigned level, the rate of descent should be minimized whenever possible and the subsequently selected level flight should differ by 500 FT from those normally assigned by ATC. If an aircraft requires to divert across the flow of adjacent traffic, it shoulmd expedite climb above or descent below levels where the majority of aircraft operate (e.g. to a level above FL 410 or below FL 290) and then maintain a level which differs by 500 FT from those normally assigned by ATC. However, if the Commander/PIC is unable or unwilling to climb above FL 410 or descent below FL 290, the aircraft should be flown at a level 500 FT above or below levels normally assigned until a new ATC clearance is obtained. • China/DPRK RVSM. Aircraft requiring rapid/emergency descent or diversion within China/DPRK RVSM airspace should leave the assigned airway by turning 30° RIGHT and intercept a 5 NM offset from the airway centerline, then turn left to track parallel the original route, then climb or descend to the new level, and then return to the original route (when appropriate). When returning to the original route, be aware of conflicting traffic on that airway.

Weather Deviation Procedures • Altitude deviation due to severe turbulence or Mountain Wave Activity (WMA). When an aircraft experiences severe turbulence and/or mountain wave activity, which results in an altitude deviation of approximately 200 FT or greater, the pilot shall immediately notify ATC and state "Unable RVSM due turbulence / mountain wave activity". If not immediately issued by the controller, request vectors or heading away from traffic at adjacent flight levels. Report the location and magnitude of the turbulence or MWA to ATC as soon as practical. • Track Deviation for Weather. If a track deviation for weather is required and an ATC clearance cannot be obtained the following procedures shall be followed: 1. if possible deviate away from an organised track system. Broadcast intentions on 121.5 MHz and the air to air frequency 123.45 MHz. All available exterior lights should be selected on and the TCAS monitored for conflicting traffic 2. if the deviation is less than 10 NM, the aircraft should remain at the level allocated by ATC 3. if the deviation is greater than 10 NM, when the aircraft is 10 NM from track, initiate a level change based on the following criteria: Route Centre Line Track Deviations > 10 NM Level Change EAST 000-179 magnetic LEFT RIGHT DESCEND 300 FT CLIMB 300 FT WEST 180-359 magnetic LEFT RIGHT CLIMB 300 FT DESCEND 300 FT

When returning to track, be established at the previously assigned level when the aircraft is within approximately 10 NM of the centre line.

Reporting of Deviation from Cleared Flight Level If a flight deviates by more than 300 FT from a cleared altitude or level within RVSM airspace, an altitude report form shall be completed. Crews should complete an ASR for any event.

FlightPathOBN
18th Jan 2013, 03:13
Where do you see that Canada uses standard ICAO criteria?

nitpicker330
18th Jan 2013, 07:31
Simply that my company flies extensively thru Canada and if there were any differences we needed to know about it would be mentioned in our manual, just like CHINA/DPRK. :ok:

Capt Groper
19th Jan 2013, 07:55
Can anybody save me the trouble, what are the Chinese differences to turning Left or Right by 45 dregs to offset by 15 nm?

nitpicker330
20th Jan 2013, 00:56
Just read what I posted above buddy, it ain't hard....

Spoon feeding, how can you expect to make it as a Pilot when you need someone to hand you the info on a platter?????

Ok then I've highlighted the text just for you this time,:D

aterpster
20th Jan 2013, 01:14
Can anybody save me the trouble...

Perhaps someone can.