PDA

View Full Version : Thom v Pratt

skygazer
17th Apr 2002, 15:44
I know this has probably been asked many times before, but what are the pro's/cons/differences between the Trevor Thom and Jeremy Pratt PPL books? Prices are similar so that's not an issue, but how about content, readability, etc.:)

sennadog
17th Apr 2002, 16:19
I can't compare the two as I've never used the Pratt books. What I can say is that the Thom books are extremely easy to read, the layout is concise and the diagrams in general are excellent. If my O level Maths and Phyisics books had been as easy to use as these, then Mr.Kingston would probably have had lower stress levels and more hair!

Evo7
17th Apr 2002, 16:52
Again, I've only used the Thom books but I'd recommend them. Well laid out, for the most part clear and almost always accurate. Books 1 to 4 are very good.

The ones I wouldn't bother with are Book 5 (which you wont need unless you do an IMC) and Book 6 (which contains far more information than is required for the PPL Human Factors exam) - I've got a copy of book 6 but hardly touched it. If you do need a Human Factors book "Human Factors for Pilots" by Green et al. is supposedly better anyway. Finally, you could get by with just a copy of CAP413 rather than Thom book 7 (RT), but CAP413 is a bit terse and I've found Thom's RT book more helpful.

tomcs
17th Apr 2002, 17:06
Yeah I'd have to agree. The Thom books are excellent and the writing/diagrams are well laid out. I found them and still do an excellent reference source.

Tom

paulo
18th Apr 2002, 08:39
I used both - undoubtedly Thom books are excellent reference pieces, but as a learning tool I think Pratt's books work a lot lot better.

If you are getting on fine with Thom, and passing exams, carry on. But if you find yourself struggling, Pratt's books can be a revelation. They are written in a much more accessible style, with the odd touch of humour to lighten up what can be very dry stuff, and they do not attempt to cover material that is out of scope for the PPL.

FlyingForFun
18th Apr 2002, 08:39
Agree that the Thom books are excellent. I disagree with Evo7 about book 7, though - I found it contradicted CAP413 in places, and thought I'd have been better off without it, but that's just my personal view.

However, I'd go with whatever your instructor recommends. If your instructor recommends Pratt, then go with Pratt - the reason being that your instructor is the person who's best placed to help you if you run into problems, so it'll be a big help if you're using text books which he's familiar with.

FFF
-----------

Flying Chicken
18th Apr 2002, 10:05
I agree with Paulo, having started out with the Thom books, I borrowed someone's Pratt books and found them far easier to read, so went out and bought my own. Pratt's light hearted style certainly helped me to retain the information far easier than slogging through Thom's monotonous, although informative, style.

WeatherJinx
18th Apr 2002, 12:17
WxJx has experience of both, having first used the Thom manuals a few years ago. For whatever reason I stopped pursuing my PPL at that time, until two years ago when I started again; this time with the Jeremy Pratt books.

I don't know about the latest Thom editions (so this may not be 'apples for apples'), but I do recall the illustrations being appalling! I was constantly having to to gaze at one or other of the piccies wondering what the hell it was that they were to portray! :D

What I do remember though was that the writing was excellent - clear, concise, economic and non-ambiguous.

The Pratt books are much better laid out in my opinion, benefitting from a modern, uncluttered design and (mostly) crystal-clear graphics. The textual content is also very good. Not conclusive I know but for what its worth I reckon you would probably be fine with either.

Regards and good luck
WxJx ;)

singaporegirl
18th Apr 2002, 12:18
I found Pratt much more readable too – though the books are physically heavier (a consideration if you're thinking of reading them on the train!). And I think photos can often be more useful than line drawings. I found the Thom style comprehensive but old-fashioned.

The main criticism of the Pratt series is that the volume on technical stuff (book 5? could be 4) didn't go into enough detail to answer some of the exam questions. When I found I couldn't answer half the questions in the PPL Confuser I was lucky enough to find the Thom technical volume in a second-hand bookshop and used that - much more detail.

DOC.400
18th Apr 2002, 14:17
Passed my PPL on Thom and still have them within reach of my desk if any queries crop up.

Also have Vol 1 of Birch and Bramson.

DOC