PDA

View Full Version : Egyptian desert Kittyhawk

gas path
12th Jan 2013, 15:51
All this fuss over the Spitfires, but what happened to the Kittyhawk that was found earlier?:confused:

Load Toad
12th Jan 2013, 16:09
Given the way it was being picked apart, shot at, bashed - I'd be surprised if there is much left.

evansb
12th Jan 2013, 16:13
Its been made into a Muslim shrine?

Tiger_mate
12th Jan 2013, 20:27
It is in crates in a foreign land destined for the RAFM. Which probably means a short stay at the Beetham Centre. I know which city and country it is in but that may be corporate in confidence and I would not wish to compromise safe delivery to the UK.

albatross
13th Jan 2013, 00:50
Did they find the remains of the pilot?
I know from previous threads that he was not in the aircraft but I heard a rumour that human remains were found nearby but it was not confirmed that it was the pilot.

Load Toad
13th Jan 2013, 01:19
Excellent news to hear it is packed and on it's way to RAFM. Thanks.

l.garey
13th Jan 2013, 15:56
The story, as far as I know, is that some human bones were found several kilometers from the site of the wreck, but they were were left there by the finders. I have been trying to get them retrieved so we can do some microscopy and DNA testing to determine their age and possible relation to the pilot's family. But so far no-one has been able to come forward with a way to do retrieve them. The wreck was moved in a container to Al Alamein museum some months ago, as was widely reported at the time, and I have not heard of it moving from there.

Laurence

Planemike
13th Jan 2013, 18:54
Pick your way through this lot if you have the time and inclination...... Egyptian P40 scandal article - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=120188)

Planemike