PDA

View Full Version : seneca 200T drivers.

pipertommy
11th Jan 2013, 13:02
On the Seneca 200 T, run up power checks. When exercising the props at 2000 rpm what's the correct actions and what are you looking for on instruments?
Reduced to 1500rpm, to check props feathering again actions looked for and confirmation on instruments?

I'm shortly to renew my ME/IR having not held these ratings for few years. I have been reviewing the checklist.
I roughly remember the exercising the props to allow circulation of warm oil through prop systems?
And the feather check, remember placing a finger below the throttle lever and reducing power to the gate ?? And not dropping below 1000rpm ??
My memory is vague on these checks, any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks PT.

dawsonj1
11th Jan 2013, 17:24
Hi there,

As you say, you set 2000RPM using the throttles and then complete three checks at this setting.

1. Manifold pressure drain lines. (Located under panel infront of P1 by your knees)

Each drain should be fully opened for at least 5 seconds.
With drain open, MAP should increase towards ambient pressure (~30"Hg) on the gauge.

2. Excercise Prop Control Levers on both engines.

For this, reduce RPM by ~200RPM or so. Check RPM returns to 2000 when maximum rpm is reselected. Complete this cycle 3 times for first flight of day (twice for subsequent flights suffices). Reason is as you said, to allow warm oil through the constant speed unit.

3. Mag checks. (Max drop 150rpm, 50rpm max difference between) standard check.

Then, once the above is complete, reset 1500RPM again using the throttles. Now complete the full feathering check, one engine at a time. There isn't a gate as such on the Seneca 2, so you just bring the prop control lever back and as you said, not below 1000rpm. This is your check that the prop will feather should you need it too!

The reason people sometimes get taught putting your finger at a position on the quadrant is so that when you have brought the prop lever back to that position, you should see no change in the RPM on the gauge, but once you put the lever in the fully coarse position (i.e. feathered) it should drop noticably.

Don't let it feather though, it will be very difficult to get it out of feather without the airflow helping you to do so!

Best of luck,

Jim.

pipertommy
11th Jan 2013, 19:49
Brilliant thanks Jim. So is it just a quick regard of prop lever fully back a very quickly forward again, as said not below 1000 rpm.

dawsonj1
12th Jan 2013, 10:30
Yeh that's exactly it, you will know that it's feathering properly by that distinctive sound you hear when you pull the lever back.

Jim.

pipertommy
12th Jan 2013, 14:47
Thanks once again James!
catch you soon.