PDA

View Full Version : Flight tracker's for Ultralights

Veinraf
11th Jan 2013, 12:26
Sorry if i'm in the wrong topic.
I'm working in the ultralight club and they decided to install flight trackers on our trikes..They don't know a thing about flight tracking(just like me) and i was the one to blame:)
Can anyone advice me on a flight tracker and a software that could

1-show the current position of our trikes (in the hangar on the pc)
2-signal up to 30-50 nm in Himalayas
3-software that would give detailed information about the flight (coordinates,speed,alt and a landscape information)

Thanks

Dg800
11th Jan 2013, 12:44
I don't really understand the reference to the Himalayas, but here goes:

SPOT Personal Tracker (http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=101)

Denti
11th Jan 2013, 13:01
Would have said FLARM, however that will not fulfill point 2 as the range is much shorter.

Veinraf
11th Jan 2013, 13:06
And what about Guardian G3? Since it is satellite and web based,high terrain won't be a problem?
I mentioned Himalayas,because of high terrain and high frequency propagation problem.

Dg800
11th Jan 2013, 13:11
High terrain will not be a problem with satellite-based tracking, if anything it gets you closer to the receiver. :cool: Global coverage might be an issue though, f.e. at the poles. You have to check with the tracking service provider if you plan on flying somewhere "unusual".
Don't know about the G3, I know SPOT is pretty widely used in the gliding community and has been used for real-time tracking during competitions too.

Dg800
11th Jan 2013, 13:13
Would have said FLARM, however that will not fulfill point 2 as the range is much shorter. To track anything with FLARM you'd have to actually fly after them, which kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it, as you'll know where they are the whole time anyway. :ok:

Short of actual Secondary Surveillance Radar, which requires the installation of an actual transponder, the only viable systems are all GPS and satellite-based.

Denti
11th Jan 2013, 14:02
Well, the easiest way would be Mode S (ADS-B out) transponders on the microlights and an groundstation at the base. That will easily cover the 50NM, however costs quite a bit of money to equip the aircraft.

FLARM is actually not that bad, but only covers around 10NM max with one groundstation. And yes, those exist, have seen a very nice installation at a local glider club that has a radar like situation screen on the ground where it can follow all FLARM equipped aircraft, which includes their whole fleet.

Veinraf
11th Jan 2013, 14:14
Damn! SPOT is not covering Nepal..
And what about cellphone tracking,maybe someone can point me where to read about it?