PDA

View Full Version : B737 NG Ditching Checklist

MrHorgy
11th Jan 2013, 10:15
A question if I may - which may seem silly but still has me wondering on those long sectors...

Why does the 737NG Ditching checklist instruct you to select Autobrake OFF in the deferred items descent checks? Is this not a colossal waste of print? One assumes you are wheels up, therefore not requiring autobrake :E

Is there some historical or logical reason for it to be there?

Mach E Avelli
11th Jan 2013, 21:12
I have absolutely no idea. Could it be to isolate an electrical circuit out in the wheel bay? Someone with a wiring diagram may be able to help.

DozyWannabe
22nd Jan 2013, 00:59
I have absolutely no idea. Could it be to isolate an electrical circuit out in the wheel bay? Someone with a wiring diagram may be able to help.

My first thought would be either something like that or what effect (if any) autobrake setting may have on flap/slat/spoiler logic.

RAT 5
22nd Jan 2013, 16:37
Let me pose the other side of the coin: Why would you want select the A/B ON in the first place? The idea of some techno-wizard idea seems irrelevant if you'd never consider it being on in the first place.

BOAC
22nd Jan 2013, 17:05
Don't forget landing can be briefed 1 hr or more ahead which gives you plenty of time to then ditch.:) Not saying I understand why it is in the c/list though and I'm sure it never used to be.

aviaticus
23rd Jan 2013, 09:22
one of a autobrake functions is preventing hydroplaning, and as ditching is kind of hydroplane-ing, that may be the reason why...LOL :ok:

RAT 5
23rd Jan 2013, 10:23
As the hilarious after dinner chat by the BHX ATC officer, Gunson I think, suggested when reading the after crash QRH: "Park Brake.......Set." Presumably to stop someone stealing the evidence. AH, Bring back airmanship. There was the other gem:
"after the crash the last to leave the a/c is the captain. If I pass you (F/O) on the way out you are to assume the rank of captain."