PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Pilot in Europe

Porterboy
10th Jan 2013, 15:53
Hi there,

I want to be an airine pilot when I'm older. I currently live in Canada and my goal for he longest time has been to be a pilot with Air Canada or Westjet. But recently I've had a little interest in becoming an airline pilot in europe...mostly due to this video and the rest of this user's videos: Life as an Airline Pilot - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I712YXdJ6_0) .

Anyways, I've been doing a lot of research recently and it doesn't look too good at this moment from what I've read. It's a lot more expensive then in Canada, you have to pay for type ratings to get in the industry, work conditions at airlines such as ryanair are terrible, etc...

What I wan't to know is if these are true. Is really all that bad? :confused: And would I be better off being a pilot in Canada?

And while I'm at it... How about Australia? My best friend just moved to Sydney. Would it be viable in Australia? My friend has been there for almost a year and he really likes it. What's it like for training and careers down south? I mean Virgin Australia seems like a pretty damn glamerous job. Although probably too good to be true...

Thanks for your input!

Feedmemore
11th Jan 2013, 02:14
Europe is bad. When you reach 40 or even 35, airlines don't want you.what s the point to go in this "noble" profession when a few years later you are considered like good for retirement.

RedBullGaveMeWings
11th Jan 2013, 03:05
I envy you because you're Canadian...
I want to leave this :mad: called Europe. At the moment, this place sucks in regards to Aviation.

I wholeheartadly suggest you to study at a college or aviation college, get your licence and ratings, work either as flight instructor or bush pilot in the Canadian bush and build your career from this stage.

Hey, do you know any Canadian girl aged around 20 that wants to get married?:}