PDA

View Full Version : Canjet to re-start operations....

McDoo the Irish Navigator
16th Apr 2002, 21:35
Whaddya think of this, good news all around, I say, for a beleaguered industry and workforce.

http://cbc.ca/stories/2002/04/16/canjet_020416

schleprock
16th Apr 2002, 23:55
I was a pilot with Canjet and we all think it's great news. The unemplyment things gets old very quick!

:D

PaperTiger
17th Apr 2002, 04:57
New equipement or try to get the 737s back ? Stashed at YXD, registered to some consultancy according to CCAR.

schleprock
17th Apr 2002, 12:38
Same equipment as before, 737-200A. You see, IMP signed a 5 year lease on those aircraft and has been paying on them since the demise of Canada 3000. I believe it will start as a 4 plane operation.

Cheers

:D

ex330
17th Apr 2002, 16:31
not that i am interested in the position, but i think you boys out east may encounter a few problems in regards to succecor rights. Mr. Rowe being a part of C3 when it folded would come under that law( as far as i am aware). The canjet pilots were also on the new combined list before the demise of the C3, so i would not be surprised if Canjet(mr Rowe) get's a call from ALPA.

I know AJK had the same problem with the start up of Newco. He wanted only Airbus pilots, however ALPA insisted that the hiring of pilots be done off the combined list. It's great news, but the union's are going to make it very difficult for the old Canjet guys to get there old jobs back. I wish you guys all the best of luck and i hope all the canjet chaps get their rightful seats.

cheers

in limbo
17th Apr 2002, 20:41
Hey there Schleprock.
I to have heard it will start with 4 37's. Just wondering if you think more 37's will be added?:)

schleprock
17th Apr 2002, 21:32
I think (I hope) they will be using a slower more cautious approch this time. The idea is to have 3.2 aircraft flying (yes I know........ .2?) and have one around as a spare for the most part and also maintenance rotation.

As usual in this business will have to sit back and see what happens.

Cheers

breguet
17th Apr 2002, 21:36
It is a good thing for all involved who would be able to go flying again. However, the conditions that led Canjet to be acquired by C3000 would still exist if and when Canjet new takes the air.:p

schleprock
17th Apr 2002, 22:32
Do you mind elaborating on this?

breguet
23rd Apr 2002, 00:22
Basically, Canjet owner is restarting on a false premise: he hopes that the federal government will clear the way for him so that he has no competition or very little competition mainly from Air Canada. The economic conditions have not changed and, before Canjet was acquired by C3, it was losing money. The new Canjet will also lose money.

Hence, the hope of seeing the idiot(s)/imbecile(s)/incompetent(s)running TC and Canada stepping in and telling AC to bug off, to leave the market to Canjet.

Canjet owner does not have a business plan that will make the cie viable other than the new Anti-Air Canada Act (Competition Act).

The only positive thing is that people will have a job again but for how long????

Goonybird
20th May 2002, 16:42
Breguet, I agree that Canjet is in for a fight with AC, however I disagree with the rest of your post. The market has changed dramatically in the east. The first time round CJ was competing with AC, Royal and C3., that is, until C3 bought them. Not to mention that the economy was on it's way downhill. No wonder they were losing money, there's not enough people in the east to maintain that kind of capacity. This time around they are competing with AC and a few flights from Skyservice and the economy is on the correct side of the power curve. Will they be profittable?? Don't know, haven't seen their business plan, but it's nice to see friends going back to work in thier profession.

Spiraldiver
28th May 2002, 01:54
Breguet is right.

The last attempt by Canjet to enter the market was based on a presumption that the Canadian Liberal government would provide unbridled protection for any new start-up. Regardless of the market conditions. Regardless of the costs.

Canjet filed a grievance (read-lawsuit) against AC a day before they started operating. But the dummies entered the market at at price point that would have been unsustainable by anyone. This significantly weakens their case. Had they not been bought out, they would have likely been bankrupt within a year anyway.

AC matched their prices, as any competitor would do. Had those prices been just sustainable by Canjet (low overhead and salaries), they would still have Ac competing with them, but the business model wouldn't have had them out of business. And AC would have lost all kinds of money trying to compete.

Sure, the market has changed, but relying on the good graces of Liberal hacks still does not constitute a viable business plan. And so far, that still appears to be all they have thought about. And the previous grievance hasn't even made it through the courts yet.

I do hope the new incarnation flies. I hope the vulture-capitalist management dummies in charge learned from their mistakes. But I wouldn't bet the up-front cost of a 737 PPC on it, which is what you have to pay if you want to work there.

schleprock
28th May 2002, 02:37
WE ARE NOT PAYING FOR OUR OWN PPC'S! You are thinking of Jetsgo (Ex-Royal). It will be a cold day in hell, the day I pay for my own PPC. Pilots have been recalled and are being trained as we type.

As for the rest of your comments............well, I've been in this business long enough and you you might be right. Will just have to wait and see how everything works out. From what I understand, we will not be the DEEP DISCOUNT airline we were.

Regards,

Schelp

Spiraldiver
29th May 2002, 03:16
You're right, I was thinking about Jesgo/nogo with regards to the PPC thing. Glad to hear there might be a sustainable pricepoint in the new incarnation of Canjet. Perhaps a lesson has been learned. The politics will tell all later.

PaperTiger
4th Jun 2002, 21:22
Ops start June 20 with a single 732.
Add another airplane on each of June 23, 27 and July 4.

http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/020604/canjet_airline_launch_1.html