PDA

View Full Version : Australian PPL AFR (BFR)

Manfred66
5th Jan 2013, 17:11
I wondering if anyone knows of a flight instructor that can sign off for my AFR (BFR) for my Australian PPL.

Tasmaniac
27th May 2014, 20:59
I had the same question and got this direct from CASA....
Subject: RE: Renewal of flight crew licence

Q. Having completed whatever refresher flying/theoretical training is necessary, could the BFR/AFR be done in UK? Either with a UK CAA Flight Examiner, or with an Australian CASA Flight Examiner living here in UK?

R. No, you have to do it in Australia. However, the CFI should take into account your flying recency in the UK. The instructor has to be either a Grade 1 or an approved Grade 2 employed by a CASA approved flight school (sorry).

Red Byron
5th Jan 2023, 16:29
Asking if anybody knows of a change since the original post ?

i.e. is it possible to conduct a flight review in UK for my Australian PPL ? If so, can anybody recommend a suitable qualified instructor ?

nreese
6th Jan 2023, 20:07
Flight reviews for Australian licenses must be conducted in Australian registered aircraft. Just contact CASA and ask them the question: https://www.casa.gov.au/about-us/contact-us

If you are coming back to Oz you should only need to do a BFR once back there - you license stays valid, it's just not current until the BFR is conducted.

nreese
6th Jan 2023, 21:04
Also, wondering why you would want to renew your Oz PPL in the UK - if you're not flying in Australia, it's just a waste of the countdown time till your next BFR. As stated, just do your BFR once you are back in Oz. If you want to study up on Australian procedures, there are plenty of online resources provided by airservices, do some home sim practice with XPlane using Oz airfields, listen to Oz ATC with LiveATC dot net.