PDA

View Full Version : Old home movie of helicopter in Zermatt 1950s

HeliComparator
4th Jan 2013, 22:40
Just been transferring some of our family "archives" ie old 8mm film, from the VCR it was transferred to, to the computer, and came across a clip of a helicopter landing and taking off somewhere near Zermatt in the early 1950s (before I was born!) taken by my father on a ski-ing trip. It may or may not be of any interest, but at least it shows that attitudes to health and safety have changed somewhat!

dfTbnp6Z450

Agaricus bisporus
5th Jan 2013, 08:40
I don't see any problems with H & S there...

AnFI
5th Jan 2013, 17:20
rCP2svPcgu4

QDMQDMQDM
5th Jan 2013, 21:13
It looks like it may be the site of the current heliport or near there. The thing which is more interesting is the Super Cub. Can't imagine finding a piece of land big enough in Zermatt today to land even a Cub.

alouette
5th Jan 2013, 23:42
The reason is that the construction boom over the recent years covered even the tiniest open spaces. And that makeshift landing strip for the Piper seems to be somewhere near the train station towards the existing heliport.

007helicopter
6th Jan 2013, 10:39
The trusty Hiller UH12 earning its crust

jeepys
6th Jan 2013, 21:10
The Hiller 12 is a great helicopter. Very much like a classic car now, keep it garaged and take it out in good VFR weekend weather. You don't see too many around now probably because they take a while to get anywhere but it's nostalgic history that is nice to see.

There are a few flying out of Vanguard Heli's at Henstridge. It's good to see this history in the air rather than bound to the museums alone.

Raw flying at it's best and long may they continue.