PDA

View Full Version : PA-38 comparisons to Cessna 150 - advice needed!

FireDragon
16th Apr 2002, 16:21
Hi all

Can anybody answer the following?

I've always flown in a PA-38, but will shortly be using a Cessna 150/152 for the first time.

I'd like to know the following regarding the differences in handling between a low & high wing aircraft

1) How does the Cessna handle the stall, compared to the PA-38

2) What, (if any), are the differences in the landing configuration between the two - which is the most difficult to land

Any info on the above, (and indeed, any other relevant differences between the two), gratefully received!

Cheers

FD

tomcs
16th Apr 2002, 16:56
I usually fly PA-28's but have about 1 hour in the 150 :p As u may know the low wing aircraft are much more sedate. The high wing cessnas are much more frisky and require more rudder. They are also much nastier in the stall, but get someone with experience to give u a good renidition of one of those, whereas in the PA-28 the stall is simply the nose dropping forward. The landing config is just the same although it has a higher nose up attitude. Another i found in my short time as a 152 pilot is that the controls seem to much stiffer than a Piper (that may have just been the a/c) but overall i think the low wing a/c are much nicer.....IMHO :D

Please dont take any of that as gospel :cool:

Tom

Sniff
16th Apr 2002, 18:19
There was a big discussion about the PA38 vs 28 a while ago, on this link. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42401) Might help a little.

Sniff.:)

A and C
16th Apr 2002, 19:40
Please read the small print !, firedragon was asking about the PA38 !!!!!! not the PA28 vs the C150/152

In my opinion the PA38 is a much better trainer as it stalls a little unpredictably and exibits all the classic spin syimptoms and demands the proper recovery to be made.

the cessna ,s stall is a non-event and the spin recovery can be "just let go of the controls"

The visibility out of the PA38 is better.

The best thing about the C150 was the 40 flap setting as it could get you into a realy small field its just a pitty this was removed from the C152.

The only problem that a low time pilot is likly to have with the Cessna is on landing , it is quite easy to over control in pitch so if you are not happy with the way the touchdown is going then go-around ,countless Cessna nose legs have been knocked of by PIO.

The biggest down side to the PA38 is the 11000 hour fatigue life on the main spar , so some PA38,s are nearing the end of there lives the cessna has no fatgue problems.