PDA

View Full Version : Flying Schools In Canada

benjaavpilot
2nd Jan 2013, 03:35
Hi Guys,

anyone knows a good cheap flight schools in Canada. Im considering doing my PPL to CPL/IR and doing my CFI rating. thanks

happy new year 2013 :ok:

rotornut
6th Jan 2013, 16:07
My friend, working on his CPL, had a number of bad experiences at Brampton Flight Centre near Toronto. So he switched to Island Air Flight School at YTZ and is quite happy with them. Also, I've heard good things about Toronto Airways but the airport has been sold to developers so they may not be around much longer. You can check out their websites.

localflighteast
6th Jan 2013, 21:48
I'm doing my PPL at Island Air.
I'm happy there but can't imagine it counts as cheap. If location isn't an issue ( Canada is a very big place, you know;)) I'd imagine there are place that are just as good but cheaper.

clunckdriver
6th Jan 2013, 22:06
Contact Ottawa Aviation Services, they tend to hire their own grads and are a very busy school, on top of this Ottawa is a great town to live in.

localflighteast
7th Jan 2013, 10:56
Well if you end up there maybe I'll see you around
Safe landings!

benjaavpilot
9th Jan 2013, 13:16
ive compared several canadian schools and the total cost seems to be around $45,000 . is that the price you guys are paying?:eek::confused:

Porterboy
9th Jan 2013, 19:47
Check out confederation college's program in Thunder Bay. It's only 12600$ except you don't get your flying portion done for the multi-IFR. Only written. But most grads go to Cornwall aviation to get the multi-IFR done after graduating. It's only 5000$ or so IIRC. That's what I'll do if I don't get accepted to the University of Western ontario's aviation program.

EDIT: I should've read the title. Ottawa aviation services would be a great flight school!

benjaavpilot
10th Jan 2013, 01:52
hi,
yea i've checked their website and saw their aviation program,
confederation college looks good but they are not a flight school righ?
they offer the courses on float too? i 'll have it on the list!

thanks cheers:ok:

ARNSpoty
10th Jan 2013, 10:10
I dont know if you already decided but i'd look into Southern Interior Flight Centre in Kelowna. I've met the guys over there and their very professional, use good equipment, and an interesting environment to fly in. Prices are on their website.

Porterboy
10th Jan 2013, 15:34
No, confed is a college program not a flight school. And yes they do give you a float rating too.

Shnzee
10th Jan 2013, 18:10
I am actually thinking to get my PPL from there. Any suggestions? I would really appreciate that.

Chelton
11th Jan 2013, 12:10
The prices listed for confederation college sound like a subsidized price by the Ontario government, often the case in Ontario, only available to Ontario residents.

benjaavpilot
12th Jan 2013, 02:45
ive checked Southern Interior Flight Centre, seems to be a good school!

cheers:ok:

benjaavpilot
12th Jan 2013, 02:57
Southern Interior Flight Centre testimonials looks to be good.,

anyone can tell me more about the Instructor Rating and employment at the school?

Thanks

Porterboy
13th Jan 2013, 05:46
Confed is subsidized for all students. Not just Ontario residents.

evansb
15th Jan 2013, 16:22
Alberta is Provincial-tax free, so you would save well over $2,250 learning to fly there. Cost of living a little bit less too...

benjaavpilot
16th Jan 2013, 03:27
ok, if you say so, im trying to check some now.yea cost of living is a matter too but what about the weather in Alberta?:confused:

stealth_117
17th Jan 2013, 02:38
How about Blue Bird flight Academy in Chilliwack? People say it is good....

benjaavpilot
17th Jan 2013, 10:30
How about Blue Bird flight Academy in Chilliwack? People say it is good....

Thanks for the suggestion friend, im checking it;)

Boratt
28th Jan 2013, 23:03
I did a big part of my training at Harv's Air in Manitoba. They have two locations in the province and are a really great school!
Check them out at: Harv's Air (http://harvsair.com/)

All the best!

clearblueskyy
27th Jun 2013, 05:44
Hello all,

I'm looking to clock some hours in Canada( converting from an FAA to TCCA CPL ) , mostly single engine time, suggestions for good flying schools welcome.I'd personally prefer it to be somewhere close to the city, and in a nice area.I like going out a lot and understand that most flight centres are located on the outskirts of town, however this shall be my first visit there, hence I'd like to make the most of it.I've heard Vancouver and Toronto are very good cities to live in , something close will be much appreciated.

localflighteast
27th Jun 2013, 11:19
Well if you want close to downtown then they don't come much closer than CYTZ
My previous recommendation stands
You definitely wouldn't need a car !!

clearblueskyy
27th Jun 2013, 17:58
@localflighteast - Hi , thanks for your response ! They don't seem to have any PA-34's or C152's. any other good schools with these aircraft in the Vancouver area, or elsewhere in Canada , you'd recommend ?

localflighteast
27th Jun 2013, 21:02
They have a 152 and a multitude of 150s
Personally I'd recommend the 172 though
More usable weight

I have no experience of any other flight schools

wwjs
11th Jul 2013, 14:27
When the wx is bad you have a fantastic learning opportunity. Which you don't get if it is always good. When choosing that flight school do your homework. The school isn't giving any bad testimonials or bad student experiences. Interview more than one school. And try to get the experiences of students who have NOT been channelled your way. I've heard good things of Harv's and not so good things about Southern Interior Flight Centre. When it comes to working in the industry be very careful there are companies (not just airline jobs) who use excessive manipulation and bullying to accomplish there goals. There are some really good flight training schools that raise to the top and provide an enjoyable learning experience and share the pitfalls to avoid. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith and trust your instincts when choosing.
Good luck

clearblueskyy
5th Sep 2013, 06:34
Anybody heard of Island Air ,Toronto ?
Thinking of going there..do give your inputs.

cheers !
CBS

rizwan123
11th Sep 2013, 23:57
Haven't heard about Island Air, but I would recommend everyone reading this this thread to check Seneca's aviation program. It's about the only degree-based program, and used to be a aviation college in the past. It's built itself a good reputation from what I know, and offers challenging theoretical and practical lessons that get you well educated.

I am currently in the program, and I am saying this from personal experience.

As for Toronto Airways...it is affiliated with Seneca College; meaning that the students from Toronto Airways come over to Seneca to get some textbook work done. That is my knowledge of the program so far, however, the only downside to Toronto Airways is that where they operate, Buttonville Airport, is closing down by the end of this year. I am not sure where they will be relocating to, but Seneca students will be going over to the Peterborough Municipal Airport in Peterborough to finish off their flight training.
The program costs $10,600, add a grand for other expenses, and you are looking at a somewhat expensive program. It is also subsidized as mentioned above. What are the benefits though, you may ask? A great fleet of Cessna 172, great profs, and great instructors. Check their fleet on the website.

If anyone needs anymore information on this program, please PM me.

clearblueskyy
13th Sep 2013, 06:35
What about Montreal , any good schools out there, and how is the city to live in ?

ravi737
22nd Sep 2013, 05:48
Is it possible to convert DGCA to Canada Licence?

clunckdriver
27th Jan 2014, 13:40
A few pointers to those requesting information on flight training/jobs in Canada. {1} There are hundreds of young Canadion CPL holders out of work. {2} At this point low timers have little chance of getting a job, its winter here, {minus 23 today where I live} have you any clue how to live and operate an aircraft in such conditions? if not, dont bother comming to Canada.{3} A small point, Canada is not America, therefore please dont bother the likes of me with your requests as to how to obtain a CFI rating, in Canada CFI is the chief flying instructor! In other words, do your homework before bursting into print!{4} Please read the Sticky at the top of the Canada section, this way you wont be asking to live here simply because you want to, this "wanting" would likely change after your first winter anyway!{5} Dont ever offer to work for less than my or any other companies employees or to fly for free or pay for your training.{6}Canada in the past has welcomed folks from all over the world, many have worked hard and done very well, at the same time fitting in to our way of life, making Canada a better place in which to live , but to the PM sender who stated that he "could not fly with a female pilot", please stay home, the one in my company is now moving up to a 737 position, eat your heart out!{7} Oh, and dont bother to use the "race card", my 50 year love is from a very different culture/race than mine.

akyb16
12th Feb 2014, 00:15
What average do you need to get into seneca with for the Bachelor degree aviation. Was it a hard program. How many maths and physics do you need to do and was it hard. I know you get to take calculus in seneca how hard is it compare to the one in grade 12? Is it worth it going to seneca to do the pilot program if you suck at math?and if not what other college or university is good with aviation too and it doesn't have to be a degree progam like the one at seneca. How math math and physics are required in the colleges and universities and how much do you do of each?

akyb16
12th Feb 2014, 20:54
How's the program going for you and hows everything. is it really worth it or not. And what kind of courses do you have to take for first year and second year at seneca and whats their difficulties. HOWS THE PHYSICS AND MATH THEIR.

elvispilot
27th Feb 2014, 06:07
to train in a cessna 152 at waterloo wellington flight centre it's $142 solo/hour and approx $240/hr dual with ground time, i'm guessing it will cost me $50k without the ME rating . What's it where you're at?