PDA

View Full Version : Please don't laugh at me!!!

Shadowpurser
16th Apr 2002, 14:13
Not sure this is the right place for this so if this get s moved no-problem.

While doing my ironing and drifting through the channels at home I stumbled across and old episode of "Airwolf" the TV show about a sexy super helicopter that could shoot down MIGS, solve crimes, and generally give the Russians a good bashing at every available opportunity.

All looked cool and far fetched back then - and still does!!

Was it a normal helicopter with some bits stuck on it? Where is it now?

Also - what happened to BLUE THUNDER, another super helicopter operated by the LAPD with a mini gun stuck on the front of it (to calm down crowds I assume!!!!). I always thought Blue Thunder was a bit more hard core and looked meaner. Is there actually a helicopter that looks like that? Was it Airwolf with a lot more bits stuck on it!!! lol!!!

Sorry bit sad and not very serious....... just thought if anyone would know.........some of you guys in here would!!!

newswatcher
16th Apr 2002, 15:24
Definitely not an expert, but I believe that Airwolf was a modified Bell 222B and Blue Thunder a modified 1973 Aerospatiale SA341 Gazelle. I don't know whether there was a difference between the films and TV series.

DROGNA
16th Apr 2002, 15:49
Just to confirm that Airwolf was indeed a Bell 222 with some extra bits stuck on by the production company to make it look a bit more "usefull". I believe once the series had run it's course the helicopter was sold to a German cahrter company (minus all the "equipment"). It was written off some time in the late '80s following a crash.

Shadowpurser
16th Apr 2002, 16:25
Cool!!!

Thanks guys! It's amazing what you can find out on the internet!!!

What a sad ending for AIRWOLF.

Anyone know what happened to BLUE THUNDER?

I always thought Blue Thunder would kick Airwolf's arse in a fight.

Ahhhhhh the 80's!!! Questions on AUTOMAN, STREETHAWK and MANIMAL to follow. LOL!!!

sickBocks
16th Apr 2002, 16:45
Blue Thunder could kick Airwolf's butt.. think not coz "Airwolf is a Mach 1+ jet chopper that can kick butt..." in the words of Archangel's sidekick Marella (who just happened to be the Executive Producer's wife, see also Quantum Leap, she starred in that too.)

sB

Pandora
16th Apr 2002, 17:08
I'm fairly certain that Airwolf now belongs to a rich businessman who used to start it up at 5.30am evry day outside my room in Oxford. At least, it looked like Airwolf....;)

DROGNA
16th Apr 2002, 17:15
Have to agree with sickBocks, Airwolf would definately kick the butt of Blue Thunder.

See here for a picture!

http://www.b25.net/b25airwolf.html

Shadowpurser
16th Apr 2002, 18:19
But Blue Thunder had that mental mini gun that would tear up everything in site. Airwolf looked a bit more flimsy, plus Jan Micheal Vincent at the controls who was always a bit too preoccupied with looking cool and aloof to appreciate what nice bit of kit he was in control of. Add to that Ernest Borgnie in a grey jumpsuit and Archangel and his white suits and you've got a rather dodgy team!!

Blue Thunder however started off with the original cool copper and all round 30ft shark killer Roy Schneider at the controls (ok so he left it on some train tracks at the end - I can overlook that!!!). Add in a bloke with a cool name like "Jaffo" and the fact they'd use it the grease shoplifters and muggers instead of foil KGB plots (a much more effective use of a super helicopter - think they'd been to the B.A. school of effective use of rescources!!):D and you've got hours of stuipd rip roaring fun.

Ok - time to take my pills.......

DROGNA
17th Apr 2002, 15:20
In the interest of balance I thought I'd better post this!!

http://www.alphalink.com.au/~mutara/bt/g2/blue1.jpg

Still not as cool as Airwolf though!

I need to get out more.

Lance Rootem
17th Apr 2002, 19:44
Blue Thunder any day. The whole point is a Heli can't fly at Mach 1. Anyway Blue Thunder had "whisper Mode"-COOOL!

lomapaseo
18th Apr 2002, 13:07
Quote from above

"Just to confirm that Airwolf was indeed a Bell 222 with some extra bits stuck on by the production company to make it look a bit more "usefull". I believe once the series had run it's course the helicopter was sold to a German cahrter company (minus all the "equipment"). It was written off some time in the late '80s following a crash."

History tells us that it will never die. Like all good Bell 222 it will resurface again and again in the air with a few part changes.

GonvilleBromhead
22nd Apr 2002, 14:39
Why don't you put it to an official poll, now that the facility is there.

For the record, Airwolf would wallop Blue Thunder I reckon, but I don't think Stringfellow Hawk (his parents must have been pi$$ed the night they thought of that) could play the cello for toffee !

Just tried to impress the women with it, and his "Wanna see my log cabin" line. Big blouse !

As for Knight Rider versus Street Hawk, well, another time...;)

(God I have far too much time on my hands at work...)

Check 6
22nd Apr 2002, 18:23
Just A Fu***ng Observer.

:D :D :D

low n' slow
23rd Apr 2002, 11:58
Airwolf is god. All other aircraft are inferior to airwolf.
Someone said that Blue Thunder had a whisper mode.
Well duh... as if airwolf would be without? I wouldn't think so, did you never see the eppisode(s) where they use the long range microphone to pick up information from within a KGB building. Do you really think they could have done that undetected without a whisper mode? nope...
And someone said that helicopters cant fly supersonic? Are you shure you know everything about aerodynamics? You see, there is bound to be someone that knows more than the rest of us which makes the fact of helicoper supersonic flight perhaps possible. no offense...

regards/lns

24th Apr 2002, 16:17
The Bell 222s used as "airwolves" for the TV series were operated by JetCopters, inc. out of Van Nuys, California. They did a lot a TV and film work.