PDA

View Full Version : A321 Yellow Hydraulic problem

111KAB
31st Dec 2012, 15:07
First post (so please be gentle!) and seeking some basic information regarding Airbus hydraulics. Looking into a situation where an aircraft developed a yellow system hydraulic leak in the number 2 engine pylon area when descending into airport (PMI). As a result replacement pipes were required and these were obtained from Airbus Hamburg.

Grateful for any comments regarding
Suggested time to fit replacement parts (min/max) given limited description above
Given PMI is one of EU's busiest summer airports is it normal for parts to be obtained from Hamburg? Noted that Air Berlin seem to have a fleet of A320/321 based at PMI
This failure seems quite common ~ is there a log anywhere regarding the frequency?
Finally and not really related to this specific question but if I know the flight number/date/airline is it possible to find the a/c registration?
Thanks all ~ Happy New Year.

Blink182
31st Dec 2012, 18:43
Usually on a AOG where parts are required, the Airline or operator will source parts internally first if possible (stock at main base or other outstations) then make a decision to search wider.....if they have a pooling agreement then that might get results.........for something unusual or rare then it best stright from manufacturer, assuming they can release it as they operate on JIT ( just in Time ) stock principles.

Fargoo
1st Jan 2013, 16:11
Pylon hydraulic leaks are a known A320 family problem of late and Airbus have a special check to inspect the pipes and fixing bushes.

Given that a lot of pipes are being changed its not surprising to hear they needed to be sourced from Hamburg.

Depending which of the pipes has gone it can be several hours work to replace them, what tends to happen is the teflon bush between the pipe and clamp frets until it's gone and the clamp block rubs through the wall of the pipe.

We've had a few leaks before Airbus came up with the check and found a few in service that would have leaked if left to deteriorate.

As for finding the reg, no idea. Put a post with the details in the spotters forum below and I'm sure someone will track it down.

SIL 29-100 refers if you have access to Airbus docs.

111KAB
2nd Jan 2013, 08:01
Thanks both ^ for your responses. Fargoo ~ if it is not too much trouble could I ask how you obtained this information (PM me if this helps) as before I found this website I trawled the net and could not find a thing.
Also thanks re the spotters forum suggestion :ok:

Fargoo
2nd Jan 2013, 14:28
I work in the industry, if you work the small Airbus regularly it's likely that you will come across this either as a scheduled check or when a leak occurs.

Airbus are very good at hitting common faults hard with preventative maintenance and improved parts.

The SIL I mention is an Airbus Service Information Letter that details these leaks and the schedule of inspections required along with all the part numbers and photos of in service findings.

I can't send you the document but the general gist is in my last post.

111KAB
2nd Jan 2013, 14:49
Fargoo - thanks again. I now have a copy of SIL 29 - 100 via Airbus. SIL mentions inspections to be carried out every 20 months for signs of deterioration and if witnessed replacement best before failure occurs (leak). Do you (or other helpful being) know if the inspections take place in conjunction with other maintainance and if there should be a log of same? Assume if airline are attentive then the leak should not occur as inspection should have revealed the problem prior - or am I being too harsh?

T.R Haychemu
2nd Jan 2013, 16:45
Are you trying to gather information with which to present to an airline in an effort to gain compensation/refunds for delayed/cancelled service out of interest?

I honestly don't think you'll have any luck by suggested engineering was incompetent and should have found this fault long before it manifested itself as a leak.

These things happen all the time.

In answer to your questions;

1) Depending which pipe it was, hydraulic pipes in the pylon area can be an absolute nightmare to fit for access, as Fargoo says, taking many hours. Usually the biggest wait will be identification/awaiting receipt of spares though.

2) Yes, it is usual for items like hydraulic pipes to be shipped from Airbus. Most airlines for most parts will have local loan agreements with other carriers, meaning a lot of spares will be available at a lot of stations. But you can't cover everything (usually LRUs/valves/wheels etc). And certainly it would be rare to find hydraulic pipes!

3) Common - that depends. An airline may have one occourance a year of a hydraulic leak from that pipe. Airbus may be aware of more instances, and if they do become aware of issues like Fargoo mentioned, a SIL will usually follow.

4) Yes, it is possible, but you'll be lucky to find someone who will risk their job to tell you, especially if its part of a claim against the airline they work for!

111KAB
3rd Jan 2013, 05:45
Are you trying to gather information with which to present to an airline in an effort to gain compensation/refunds for delayed/cancelled service out of interest?
I honestly don't think you'll have any luck by suggested engineering was incompetent and should have found this fault long before it manifested itself as a leak.

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply T.R H ~ no the information is required on behalf of a client who is looking into the reasons airlines give for delays linked with the regularity (or otherwise) of certain problems. He is not linking (in any way) incompetent engineering with the/any delay more the length of time required to resolve the problem.
With regard to a certain flight I posted as Fargoo suggested (spotters thread) and a poster kindly sent all the information I required.
Thanks again.