PDA

View Full Version : Living Abroad and Paying UK tax

FreshPrinceofBA
15th Apr 2002, 22:33
Does anyone know, or know where i can find out if you must pay full UK tax if you live outside the UK (ie for morer than 183 days a year) yet work part time for a UK airline? Are there any loopholes regarding that fact that a good chunk of you salary is earned flying outside of the UK. Thanks

G.Khan
16th Apr 2002, 00:37
If you contact Wilfred C. Fry in Worthing, Sussex you should get a proper answer, it may cost you a few quid though!

Sounds as though you may be liable on that part of your income that you earn in the UK, if you remain in UK airspace etc. etc. It is my understanding that provided you remain outside the UK for more than 183 days per year you should be OK on the overseas earnings BUT do you keep a residence for your use in the UK? and so on, really you should ask tax professionals. Best of luck.

newswatcher
16th Apr 2002, 08:08
...or if you have lots of time on your hands, and an exceptional talent for interpreting gobbldegook, try this:

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/menus/non-residents.htm

gofer
16th Apr 2002, 11:52
Thought Aircrew throughout EU were always taxed at home base, in spite of where they lived.

Base this on 2 cases I know

1) Lufthansa crew with homebase FRA - living in France (400km away) Tax base Frankfurt - trip to/from work fully deductable according to German tax laws. Actual to/from work used staff discounted feeder flights to save a fortune on tax.

2) Various Crossair crew with hombase BSL - living in France, Germany and other parts of Switzerland, taxed at source in Basel Town (BSL homebase).

Could be wrong though - worth researching for a few pennies.

FL310
16th Apr 2002, 19:41
This is still not European law.

To be free of UK tax while abroad you need to be a COMPLETE TAX year out of the UK, except some 90 odd days where travelling days do not count.
The mentioned 186 days are the minimum to count the subsequent year as well if you are out of the country for at least 186 days throughout the second year.

basil fawlty
16th Apr 2002, 21:07
Yes, if you are in the UK for less than 90 days of any one tax year then you can become "non resident" for tax purposes, regardless of whether you work for a UK company or not. However, if you go just one day over the 90, and the Inland Revenue find out, then I'm fairly certain you will be liable for full UK income tax. As previously stated though its worth employing a tax guru....I'm sure there are loopholes for those with enough cash to buy some expert advice!!:D

basil fawlty
16th Apr 2002, 21:16
Yes, if you are in the UK for less than 90 days of any one tax year then you can become "non resident" for tax purposes, regardless of whether you work for a UK company or not. However, if you go just one day over the 90, and the Inland Revenue find out, then I'm fairly certain you will be liable for full UK income tax. As previously stated though its worth employing a tax guru....I'm sure there are loopholes for those with enough cash to buy some expert advice!!:D

mono
17th Apr 2002, 02:20
I worked abroad for several years and quailified for an NT coding. When I returned to the UK to work for a UK firm I started work before the end of the tax year (but not more than 90 days before) and all the tax that was deducted by my employer was returned to me after I had completed my tax return.

Almost 2 months pay tax free and sanctioned by HM tax inspectors.

;)

Budgie69
19th Apr 2002, 09:41
Watching the budget speech the other day I heard a reference to "examining tax and residency". It sounds as if he is after the BA French colony.

G.Khan
19th Apr 2002, 09:46
Is this possible - I heard BA had "several hundred" tech and cabin crew claiming to be resident outside the UK?:eek: