PDA

View Full Version : Groundschool results - impact on employability.

Dragonlight
14th Dec 2012, 18:45
Hi everyone,

In a continued effort to keep abreast of what employers are looking for, I've been looking at the vacancies past and present that have been advertised and have noticed every now and then employers specifying a certain pass mark at "ground school" phase.

I'm trying to find out what this is specifically reference to. Is it an integrated groundschool phase, the pass mark in the ATPL theory exams themselves, or the various progress tests that come with the various groundschool study packages.

The reason I ask is that the software for the company I have just started with upload both your progress test and exam results to their server, and I was just curious if this gets fed to employers during any future application?

Any help kindly appreciated.

cefey
14th Dec 2012, 23:18
Im 99.999999999% sure that employes dont check any of school prep. results.

If anything, they may ask for your ATPL-exams, where they will look at the avg score and first-time passes.

Cheers

RTN11
15th Dec 2012, 00:07
They will certainly ask to see your atpl exam results, as you need these to start a multi pilot type rating.

I've no idea what average they would expect but my 93% average didn't raise an eyebrow or comment either way.

paco
15th Dec 2012, 05:33
"Im 99.999999999% sure that employes dont check any of school prep. results."

They have been rining up schools and asking for progress test results.

2close
15th Dec 2012, 09:11
The current impression is that applicants with exam resits are being knocked back.

However, if you fall into this category I wouldn't start thinking that it's the end of the world as it is all about numbers and when demand increases the bench-mark moves. Yes, you may have to wait a while and you may have to widen the net but the chances are good that you will get in somewhere to gain that elusive first step.

What is important is to keep in practice and to keep your bag packed and ready to go anywhere with your IR current.

Dragonlight, what you need to do is to try your progress tests out first on paper at your own pace before recording any results into the computer but far more importantly make sure you understand the subject as (a) you only get one shot to pass the exams first time and (b) technical interviews are NOT multiple choice.

:)

Dragonlight
15th Dec 2012, 10:59
Thanks for all the comments,

I've only just started but I just wanted to check. 2close, I completely agree with the comments about learning the subject matter, that is of prime importance to me.

Paco, I find that interesting, as you would like to think its the exam results that would count. Anyway, Ill approach future progress tests (I've only done a couple so far) with a bit more caution.

paco
15th Dec 2012, 11:09
It has certainly happened at Oxford, though not with us as yet. I think that the companies are aware of people passing the exams within ten minutes having just learnt the questions. Or answers.

taxistaxing
15th Dec 2012, 12:56
Somewhat worried by this... Ill treat the progress tests with a bit more respect in future. I've failed a few (although exam results so far are first time passes with mid 90s average). Like most people I assumed the progress tests were just that - informal practice tests with an expected gradient of improvement.

15th Dec 2012, 15:10
The checking of progress tests during ATPL theory? Surely this can only be for integrated 'tagged' schemes??

pipersam
15th Dec 2012, 18:20
I think 85-90% is what you should aim for as a minimum. This is the sort of mark that I've heard some airlines look for. This is also certainly achievable with the amount of exam 'help' out there.

And, yes, airlines do indeed look at your school report. They will want to know your progress through both theory and practical training. Not sure about modular to be honest!

taxistaxing
16th Dec 2012, 09:00
It probably would be covered by the data protection act. When you apply for a job you will have to consent to the release of the information to the prospective employer, as with any other type of reference. Refusal to give consent probably wouldn't go down too well!