PDA

View Full Version : LEBL 25R approach lights..

PENKO
11th Dec 2012, 09:16
Not sure if this is the right place for my question, but who knows, maybe there is a technical answer to it..

Why are the approach lights of RWY 25R in Barcelona about 3 degrees offset to the runway centerline? And does this affect its LVP ops?:E

SplashDown
11th Dec 2012, 09:34
They do look like something wasn't done right when installed. Have no idea if it effects LVP's but I'd assume we can CAT3B into there (never checked in the jepps)

LMX
11th Dec 2012, 10:16
A captain told me it is due to the roundabout that was there before they built the approach lights. But it still doesn't really make sense to me.

Our Jepps have CAT II and III minima for 25R. The LVP description also states that with dual RWY ops it will be 25R for arrival and 25L for departures.

737Jock
11th Dec 2012, 10:25
You are all mistaken, the approach lights on 25R are perfectly straight...:E
All of spain is straight in fact. The economy is blooming and the banks have plenty cash.

Now stop this scaremongering before you get sued for defamation of approach lights or the spanish economy / work ethics.

jersey145
11th Dec 2012, 10:40
They actually can afford to switch the lights on still?? :eek:

onehundred
11th Dec 2012, 11:43
I didn't know you need approach lights to shoot a CatIII A/B approach with a DH of 50 ft or less

Cough
11th Dec 2012, 12:45
Seen this - It does look odd!

aterpster
11th Dec 2012, 13:11
onehundred:

I didn't know you need approach lights to shoot a CatIII A/B approach with a DH of 50 ft or less

Perhaps the rules have changed, but when I did CAT III (50 foot AH, 600 RVR) we had to have ALS even though we never saw them.

With a DH instead of an AH it would seem even more so.

The African Dude
11th Dec 2012, 13:30
I believe it's the opposite. For landing visually it is much MORE important to have a functioning ALS. In our operation a failed or downgraded ALS has no effect on minima with any DH below 50'.

It doesn't mention lights that are pointing at a different part of the airport than the threshold, though :E

bracebrace!
11th Dec 2012, 13:51
I'm guessing if the lights are on and you can see the required number of lights and if necessary a lateral element then there's no problem. Can't see anything that says they actually have to be lined up with the runway!

aterpster
11th Dec 2012, 15:56
The ALS for 25R is lined up perfectly with the runway per the Jepp airport diagram. Also, a Google Earth air and street view seems to confirm that.

BOAC
11th Dec 2012, 17:16
It will be the change in variation.:p

737Jock
11th Dec 2012, 18:24
Its the curvature of the earth... such a big airport

PENKO
11th Dec 2012, 18:40
It will be the change in variation.
That's the best explanation so far!

mcdhu
11th Dec 2012, 18:54
No mention of this in the "-9" charts.

PENKO
11th Dec 2012, 19:19
aterpster, mcdu, believe me, they are definitely offset. Way offset. You see it quite clearly on 3 miles final and further out.

MikeAlphaTangoTango
11th Dec 2012, 19:47
What PENKO said. It looks daft!

Dusthog
11th Dec 2012, 21:03
Some time ago they painted runway 25R center lines crooked. Now they are painted straight again. I think it's more complicated to straighten the approach lights.

DIBO
11th Dec 2012, 21:56
Well, haven't been there, haven't seen them, so who am I to judge spanish approach lights. In G Earth, drawing a perfect straight extended centerline (real close zoom-in to align with the centerline paint stripes), the approachlights seem pretty much spot on the center. Even the displaced THD arrow are spot on. So how the lights appear to be at a couple of degrees angle? Optical effect?? Individual lights on the frames not lined up with the centerline? Or is it more the TDZ that looks a bit off center?
And is it +3° or -3° offset to the centerline??

Found two pic's, the close up makes the TDZ look a bit odd. But that's probably due to the ACFT not being dead on the centerline...

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab142/DIBOYOU/PPRune/LEBL25R2.jpg.
http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab142/DIBOYOU/PPRune/LEBL25R.jpg

One thing though, that VOR arial should be moved at least two foot to the north! But don't think anybody will notice that:)

FlightPathOBN
11th Dec 2012, 21:59
maybe its one set shared for 25R and 25L :}

aside from that..to me, centerline lighting looks on, but it looks like the offset may be from a difference between right and left runway edge lighting from centerline...

PENKO
12th Dec 2012, 05:03
I have only noticed the 'crookedness' since the last couple of months. Before that the approach lights were straight like in this (older?) picture. Anyway, don't believe us, but next time you fly to BCN, think about this thread :ok:

Or maybe it is like Dusthog says, a discrepancy between the painted lines and the light. Come to think about it, I've only seen the effect during daylight.

Tiennetti
15th Dec 2012, 09:26
I noticed this too, and i have flown there only in daylight.
Been operating there for a while then stopped, the lights were perfect... then "something" happened and i recall noticing it from the beginning of this year

Ovt
7th Jul 2013, 19:38
I am a bit late, but yes... I had noticed it too before reading this post.

In fact, I attach a pic for those of you that don't believe it... I have to say that in real life it is REALLY noticeable.

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/9701/fzg3.jpg

mcdhu
7th Jul 2013, 20:49
Coastal refraction?????

Cough
7th Jul 2013, 21:07
Totally agree ovt!

Its one of those REALLY minor things that distract me out of all proportion!

Rat Catcher
7th Jul 2013, 21:40
But they did take the LEBL ATIS to LEIB or at least LEBL stopped telling you the RVR was more than 2000m when you could see the airport from 40 miles away:8:8:E:E

Ovt
7th Jul 2013, 21:46
Absolutely !! I go there almost every week, and I always take a moment to look at it and think..."That's ridiculous!", haha.

speed freek
7th Jul 2013, 22:55
Well done Ovt, good photo. Shows the offset exactly.

I just assumed it was one of those things about BCN we've all come to love :E

Anyone have a copy of that spoof ATIS doing the rounds a few years ago? I remember it being very funny.

Massey1Bravo
7th Jul 2013, 23:30
Anyone have a copy of that spoof ATIS doing the rounds a few years ago? I remember it being very funny.

This one?

0bDOZooUUNE

Ovt
9th Jul 2013, 10:10
Had forgotten about that one ! It is awesome !