PDA

View Full Version : Rochester airfield update

MRDAX
10th Dec 2012, 23:26
An interesting update from Rochester airfield on their website today: -

Rochester Airport - Welcome (http://www.rochesterairport.co.uk)

piperarcher
11th Dec 2012, 11:34
It's excellent that a Council wants to commercially develop and protect an airfield. At places like Panshanger, and I am sure, numerous other places, the opposite is in effect and the Council want to use airfields and airports to secure future housing. I like Rochester airfield, so I am glad it looks like it will continue to have a future that wont exclude GA.

007helicopter
11th Dec 2012, 17:19
Excellent news if goes ahead, hard runway on 20/02, building infrastructure, maybe new nav aids.

A good deal for the council who get a chunk of space for a technology park and a good deal for Rochester Pilots who get to keep an airport plus a hard runway.

34/16 leaves a bit to be desired so no great loss in my eyes.

I have heard the runway could be 2014 but the sooner the better!!:ok:

cockney steve
12th Dec 2012, 12:07
Mr . Cynic thinks that maybe Rochester Council are hoping it will become a feeder if the estuary airpor ever becomes reality. Meanwhile, it's nice to see the politicians NOT trying to grab both the penny and the toffee.

007helicopter
12th Dec 2012, 19:36
Mr . Cynic thinks that maybe Rochester Council are hoping it will become a feeder if the estuary airpor ever becomes reality

Unlikely I think, a bit like saying Redhill is a a feeder for Gatwick

The Council win with a nice chunk of land to develop and collect business rates plus hopefully create some jobs. (lets say worth £5m +)

The airport community win with a sustainable 25 year lease, a hard runway and a future plus some infrastructure chucked in (Lets say cost £1m appx)

so win win in my opinion.

cpl4hire
15th Dec 2012, 19:36
Well, I am all for the paved 02-20 Runway as that would mean no more Winter closures due to waterlogged grass (as long as they build taxiways too) but I am not happy about losing Runway 16-34 completely. Now if they could cut a deal which included a shortened Runway 16-34 (grass) I think the Pilots would be happier (better chance to get into wind) and so would the local Residents because currently, in light wind conditions the Active Runway is switched during the day to give various areas a respite from Aircraft noise.
OK, with the proposed set up it will only be a problem if Rwy 02 is in use (and someone is bound to provide Stats that this is the least used Runway) but I feel that options are being reduced for both Pilots and local Residents alike with the proposed scheme.

phiggsbroadband
15th Dec 2012, 23:43
Just wondered what the earth bank was for...
To stop out of control aircraft flattening their Industrial Park?