PDA

View Full Version : Ibsley Reporting Point

airsmiles
14th Apr 2002, 16:32
Can anyone tell me if Ibsley is still a reporting point, as it was years ago. I recently listened in to airband after an absence of many years and find that Gibso and SAM are mentioned but not Ibsley.

My recollection was that IBY was the main reporting point for the area many years ago. Has this changed because of Swanwick (or whatever its called) ?

brimstone
14th Apr 2002, 16:57
The Ibsley (IBY) VOR was superseded many years ago by the SAM VOR.

I don`t know why it had to go but I do remember it being located in a field just off the A338 behind a wonderful thatched pub called The Old Beams at Ibsley.

I hope that`s still there.

;) ;)

BEXIL160
14th Apr 2002, 17:14
IBY switched off very early 1980's. Used to be at the intersection of UpperRED 8 and UpperRED37 (and others)

Upper ROMEO 8 and Upper ROMEO 37 realigned onto SAM VOR.

If the Silver Fox is still about he would tell you all ("Durring the war......":D :D :D )

BEX

GroundBound
15th Apr 2002, 07:28
Brimstone,

how right you are! What a splendid little place the "old beams" was - brings back many fond memories :)

Steep Approach
15th Apr 2002, 14:59
Ibsley DVOR wasn't in a field but in true new forest heathland close to some old gun emplacements. The track to it was about half a mile long and a "Southern Area Maintenance Unit's" engineer's rally driving heaven! (except if you were driving a MK IV cortina that is)

I beleive many student Atco's used to make a pilgrimage to the site from the college and scratch their names on the counterpoise uprights. If I knew how to post pictures on these forums, things could get very nostalgic!

airsmiles
15th Apr 2002, 20:20
Thanks for the replies. The Old Beams is still there if you want to hold a reunion!