PDA

View Full Version : Flight Suit

mdir325
5th Dec 2012, 15:49
OK recently I received a job as a professional helicopter pilot. I never wore a flight suit before but now its required. I purchased one and it was definitely a little baggy, I reordered another one and everything fit perfect with the exception of the grion/crotch area. Now i'm completely new to all this is it normal for it to be a snug fit. If i stand up its no problem, but if i lift my hands above my head it gets "tight" as well as when i sit. Not to an uncomfortable level but just get tight not sure if that is normal. I'm more worried if i'm on a long flight and theres no adjustment because its just all one piece of garment. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. (The first suit I purchased was one size larger than the other one) So me going up one size from this one definitely looks baggy especially from waist down. Thanks!!!!

Pilotage
6th Dec 2012, 15:26
Standard suits are fairly guaranteed to nearly but not quite fit everybody. Although understanding the sizing helps, as they're sized by both height and bulk.

People who "live" in a suit often get tailored ones, but that can be a very expensive hobby - typically about US$600 for a tailored nomex suit, compared to around a third of that for an off the peg suit.

I'm lucky, I take a standard RAF size 5.

mdir325
7th Dec 2012, 00:03
Thanks for the insight...I think im just going to deal with the suit i have and buy a custom one soon. The first one i have which is baggy looks pretty funny on me might see if a tailor can alter it to fit better

jayteeto
7th Dec 2012, 08:57
Go for the slightly baggy one, comfort over looks every time. Nothing worse than seeing someone in a suit that gives a wedgie every time they reach up........:eek:

beerdrinker
7th Dec 2012, 10:30
Go for the slightly baggy one, comfort over looks every time

Unless you are a Blue Angel.

Tinstaafl
8th Dec 2012, 01:55
What's more important to you? Looks or comfort?

compressor stall
8th Dec 2012, 02:17
Make sure you get it long enough in the crutch, then add a bit extra. My old suit is ok, as long as I lean a bit to the left when I reach up full stretch overhead. I needn't explain why. :ouch: