PDA

View Full Version : public/private C of A

G_STRING
4th Dec 2012, 20:34
With EASA now in charge, is there any definition between a private and public c of a?

Previously, flight training was only able to be carried out with a public c of a - (and it was easy to spot on G-INFO). Since the advent of the ARC, how do you tell what category an aircraft is in, and indeed, does it matter any more for training?

Thanks

G_STRING
6th Dec 2012, 20:12
Anyone... ?!

Level Attitude
6th Dec 2012, 20:46
Ok. I'll give it a go.

Starting with ORS4 899 April 2012 (Valid to April 2013)
I did a lot of research on this over summer/autumn - but haven't got time
to find all references I found.

As I understand it if an EASA aircraft is maintained according to Part-M
then there is no difference between private or commercial use (so no different C of A)

HOWEVER for commercial use (which includes aircraft hire for training) the engine must be within manufacturers recommended life (or within 120% if certain conditions are met)

The difficulty, for any potential PIC, is how to easily find out if this is the case. Could ask maintenance organisation, or could find out from manufacturer what the engine life is and then check the engine log book.

But don't think there is any quick way of finding out pre-flight (akin to checking Tech Log to confirm sufficient hours remain before next check)

ohmygodnotmorework
6th Dec 2012, 20:57
In 'public' category an AOC must be in place on the aircraft, the CofA no longer differs, basically you need to check with the company or person who controls the continuing airworthiness of the aircraft, if this turns out to be the owner and the aircraft has a fresh ARC every year (rather than an extension) then it would mean the aircraft is not to be operated for 'commercial air transport' in other words not for hire or reward.

Level Attitude
6th Dec 2012, 21:07
Could you clarify please
In 'public' category an AOC must be in place on the aircraft
My local flying club which rents out aircraft to members for both solo hire
and dual training does not have an AOC.

and the aircraft has a fresh ARC every year (rather than an extension)
Again, local club aircraft all have a new ARC every year
(though I'm not sure of difference between a new ARC and an Extension?)

A and C
6th Dec 2012, 21:07
The fresh ARC thing each year is not true, the only thing that a fresh ARC says about an aircraft is that the owner has changed part M Subpart G providers.

It is a requrement for Commercial air transport aircraft to be maintened by an EASA 145 company but training is not CAT it is aerial work and so the maintenance can be done by a Part M Subpart F company.

Clear as......Mmmm? Mud ! Well that is EASA for you !

Shunter
6th Dec 2012, 21:38
the only thing that a fresh ARC says about an aircraft is that the owner has changed part M Subpart G providers

Or they simply operate uncontrolled (with the same, longstanding maintenance partner), which in our circumstances we have found to be far more preferable...

G_STRING
6th Dec 2012, 21:39
Thanks for the replies, appreciated. I think I understand about the maintenance, (part 145 being required for an AOC), but under the old regime, you only had to look at G-INFO to see if an aircraft was public or private cat. Now it just states something like 'EASA ARC' and the expiry date, no other informatio.

I just wondered if the rules had been changed under EASA, and there is now no differential between the two?

topoverhaul
7th Dec 2012, 08:36
As stated above under EASA there is no public or private category. However if operated privately the engine may be operated on condition and the 50 hour checks conducted by the pilot.
If operated for hire, then the engine overhaul limits must be respected (within 20% extension) and the 50 hour checks certified by an LAE.

BillieBob
7th Dec 2012, 10:04
According to our Licensing Inspector, their legal advice is that any aircraft that is 'hired out' (including for dual flight training) must be maintained as though it were operating for public transport.