PDA

View Full Version : SID - Dubai/Sharjah

sharpshooter41
4th Dec 2012, 13:23
Let's say I'm doing a Riket 3Z departure out of Sharjah. Dubai advises me for an unrestricted climb to 5000 feet.

Question is, does this unrestricted climb also means that the speed restriction of 220 kts is waived-off automatically.

TheFalcon
5th Dec 2012, 04:36
NO it doesn't - but you can ask nicely!

Guy D'ageradar
5th Dec 2012, 06:33
The climb restriction is there to protect from traffic on other SIDS.

The speed restriction is there to enable you to fly the SID track without overshooting the turns and conflicting with otherwise separated SIDS.

Two different things entirely.

p.s. please don't ASSUME that climb is unrestricted ( as many SJ based pilots seem to be doing these days - reading back "unrestricted" regardless of whether or not it was included in the original instruction) - if the restriction CAN be cancelled, it will be.

sharpshooter41
6th Dec 2012, 15:56
Thank you for the replies.

No, I do not assume. The one thing I've learnt in flying is not to assume. Not healthy at all.

I asked this question about the speed restriction because in the next clearance I was asked to accelerate to 310 kts or more.

I may not have said this earlier but my sincere appreciation for the guys/girls who control us in UAE/ Dubai/Muscat airspace.

Happy controlling

Kiwikid
7th Dec 2012, 05:18
Personally I don't like the word unrestricted and although we have been told to use it, unrestricted means just that. If a pilot decides to fly faster I really don't think they can be blamed for any resulting problems/incidents. I have mentioned this to management but they seem to be worried about other things right now...

What do other places use when they want to remove an altitude restriction but keep everything else?

falconeasydriver
7th Dec 2012, 06:09
What do other places use when they want to remove an altitude restriction but keep everything else?

Well, to use good examples EGLL or EGKK are about as good as they get for restrictive SIDs....fastair xxx climb and MAINTAIN 5000'. No ambiguity, the clearance supersedes the previous.

Kiwikid
8th Dec 2012, 07:07
Well, to use good examples EGLL or EGKK are about as good as they get for restrictive SIDs....fastair xxx climb and MAINTAIN 5000'. No ambiguity, the clearance supersedes the previous.

And that is where we have a problem. If we were to say that here we would have 50% of pilots asking if they can climb unrestricted or if the hold down at xxxxx applies. 25% would climb as you suggest. 24% would still follow the SID and the final 1% would bust the clearance anyway;)

Unfortunately it seems different countries are coming up with different procedures and solutions and this just leads to more confusion, especially for infrequent visitors to our airspace.

To my way of thinking something like "climb NOW altitude 5000 feet" might work better.

Not Long Now
8th Dec 2012, 09:00
We've been trying 'now' for a while in London, and personally, I don't think it's been much use. Most of the Brits would have climbed as soon as you said regardless of 'now' and most of the foreign crews still reply, then come back with 'confirm that's unrestricted?'. Seems to have been a solution to a problem that wasn't really there.

falconeasydriver
10th Dec 2012, 11:40
And that is where we have a problem. If we were to say that here we would have 50% of pilots asking if they can climb unrestricted or if the hold down at xxxxx applies. 25% would climb as you suggest. 24% would still follow the SID and the final 1% would bust the clearance anyway

That's because quite frankly the 50% are idiots and ignorant for failing to understanding a clearance, the 25% are professional in every way shape and form, the 24% are cautious but ignorant, and the 1% might be accused of working for Korean.

Guy D'ageradar
10th Dec 2012, 13:41
FED,

You'd be quite surprised at some of the carriers whose pilots belong to that 1%, going by some of the incidents in recent times! Not all far eastern / 3 letter rooskis by any means.

1Charlie
11th Dec 2012, 05:53
Cancel height restriction at xxxx climb to 5000