PDA

View Full Version : New CAA Pub:- Instructions and Procedures for Examiners: Q. Medical for SFE

bohpilot
4th Dec 2012, 11:10
Section 6 of the new
Standards Document No. 24(A) Version 01 Instructions and Procedures for Examiners:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_Stds24v9_Sept12.pdf

Deals with the requirements for a SFE/TRE and it quote that a SFE will need to hold a valid medical.

However under the new EASA regulations which this documents is supposed to be based on there is no mention of an SFE requiring a medical.

So does anyone know the answer, under the new EASA rules

BizJetJock
4th Dec 2012, 11:50
It was in the drafts, but it appears common sense prevailed (how rare!) and it is not in the final rule. The CAA obviously have not caught up with that.

S-Works
4th Dec 2012, 12:18
How on earth they could justify a SFE needing a medical was beyond me. Not exactly likely to get into a life threatening situation if they developed a medical problem in the sim, regardless off how realistic they are these days!!!

bohpilot
5th Dec 2012, 19:53
So are you really telling me that the CAA have got it wrong.....never...:8

But I have friends that have NL SFE's and are worried that when NL take up EASA in April that they have the same rules as the CAA....

6.2 SFE and TRE shall hold a valid Class 1 Medical Certificate issued in accordance with Part- MED.

Finbarr
13th Jan 2013, 17:53
This is absolutely ridiculous! I am a TRE and as such hold a Class One Medical certificate. Because I am over 65 I had to do 9 minutes on the treadmill which nearly killed me! They now say its 4-year validity is nearly up and I'll have to do another one, which probably would kill me. I thought I would downgrade from TRE to SFE since I have no intention of flying an aircraft again, either as pilot or examiner, but they've got it wrong and say a SFE needs a medical too! A SFI doesn't need one so why does a SFE? Time to hang up the flying boots methinks!

bohpilot
13th Jan 2013, 18:33
It will be interesting to see which EU countries inforce the medical rule and which ones don't......

MartinCh
14th Jan 2013, 11:18
Ridiculous. As usual. This ain't aircraft. Ground/sim instructing? What next?