PDA

View Full Version : Where Do I Go From Here?

TheNakedTrader
1st Dec 2012, 09:19
Hi all,

I write this from Singapore, where I come from. Was in Florida from September
to October this year, where I did my PPL training Part 61. Now, I have a TT of 98.8 hours under my belt as a Single Engine VFR Private Pilot.

I would like to further my flight training i.e. IR, ME, CPL etc in a quest to reach out for a career in the airlines in the near future. The airlines I am gunning for have an Advanced Cadet Pilot Program which requires applicants to have an ICAO CPL with ME and IR.

This means that prior to application,my immediate flight training goals would be to achieve the FAA IR and ME ratings as well as the CPL.

Given that I am too poor to do my training the "package"style, I guess I can only go the modular route.

So for a start, can all you experienced pilots out there point me in the right direction?

Should I be taking my IR rating first followed by ME?

Or should I take my ME rating first then followed by the IR rating?

Please advice and do supplement with reasons, such that I may make an informed decision.

Also, I will be going the 141 route for my IR rating as it cuts down on costs incurred.

Regards
Bryan

rmac
9th Dec 2012, 14:45
Do them both together at the same time.

Gomrath
9th Dec 2012, 15:51
Also, I will be going the 141 route for my IR rating as it cuts down on costs incurred.

Do not be too sure about that.
Part 141 removes the need for the pre-req number of PIC hours but the course will be increased to cater for that. Only you know how many hours you have but you should do comparisons.
The advantage of Part 141 is that you can commence an IR the next day you complete your Private. That advantage diminishes as you gain hours.

this is my username
9th Dec 2012, 16:44
You need to have a look at the requirements for the various certififcates you are going for and plan accordingly. The FAA IR requires 50hrs (I think) cross-country flying before you can take the test. The CPL has a minimum number of hours before the test too.

If you talk to a good school they will help you with the most economical route. I used Tailwheels Etc at Winter Haven (now at Lakeland) and they tailored a program for my particular needs - in fact, the primary reason I chose them was because they actually looked at my somewhat unusual experience and worked out what I needed to do. Their IR package was good to - a fixed price for as much flying and ground instruction as you need to complete the IR. I am sure there are other schools out there which will do the same for you.

The route which worked for me was Private then Instrument then Commercial then Multi.

Another t op tip - get all of the exams out of the way (if you can) before going to the US. It means you can just focus on flying and preparing for the test rather than having to do book work while you are there.