PDA

View Full Version : Estimated Cost for Operating a B737-300?

redstep
29th Nov 2012, 04:09
Hello Everyone,

I have been tasked to conduct a feasibility study on the cost of a domestic freighter operation using a B737-300F.

Since the aircraft of my previous company were wet-leased, I'm quite new to the "own-aircraft" operation. I have already gathered available data I will need (Fuel burn, MTOW, range, etc.) but will need some professional inputs on some of the items that I can't find.

I hope you can indulge me with your knowledge. I know this is just basic info to you guys. This will just be for one 737 flying on domestic routes.

**Edited: This will be an operation based in the Philippines. But please feel free to share your inputs wherever you are. Thanks **

CREW:

1. Minimum crew - I did my research and I've read that this is a 2-crew a/c. Is this correct? So its a pilot and a co-pilot?

2. Are there any minimum requirements on how many set of crew needs to be in place? (ex. 2 sets of crew: 1 on board and 1 on standby)

3. Any estimate on the average salary of the 2 crew? How about training?

MAINTENANCE:

1. Who does line maintenance for 737 locally? I know Lufthansa is rated for this, but are there other options?

2. Are there any available ballpark figures re line maintenance of a 737?

Thanks and I hope to hear your inputs.

Sincerely,

Red

seat 0A
29th Nov 2012, 09:44
If you don't know how many pilots it takes to fly a 737, I guess you're excellent management material for a new airline.
Good luck!:)

Mach E Avelli
29th Nov 2012, 21:21
Methinks from the level of your questions, your man with enough money to buy or lease a Boeing should not begrudge employing a proper consultant.
Good ones charge about $800 to $900 USD a day, plus travel and hotels have to be at a reasonable standard. Cowboys come cheaper.
It could be a 10,000 dollar job or a 50,000 dollar job depending on what you already have in place. Overall start up costs will be many times more than that. But get it wrong and the losses will run into hundreds of thousands, if not millions.
As for pilot salaries, this varies with supply and demand and local cost of living, but in your part of the world I am guessing pretty cheap. Maybe $200,000 to 250,000 a year per crew? Because you have to figure in all sorts of add-on costs above the basic pay, like allowances, simulator etc.
If your man's eyes water at those sums of money, aviation is not for him.
PM me only if you are serious, and I will be happy to give you a name.

redstep
30th Nov 2012, 01:47
seat 0A: If you don't know how many pilots it takes to fly a 737, I guess you're excellent management material for a new airline.
Good luck!

I can sense your defense mechanism coming into full gear. Your post is the kind that is not conducive to the community. You must be very lonely and frustrated where you are, aight! :ok:

redstep
30th Nov 2012, 01:57
@Mach E Avelli

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure they will hire a consultant as soon as the project appears viable to them. As of now, I'm the only one who had a background from aviation (not technical though) so I'm just feeding them with the info they can use for the study.

I'm sure they already have an idea about the cost as they used to have an Air Operator Certificate back in the 80s. My guess is they want to test the waters again. Aside from the costs involved, the incubation for an airline here is about 2 years.

I'm keeping your handle in case this pushes through. Thanks for the time.

Denti
30th Nov 2012, 08:11
We used to calculate with around 6800€ total cost per block hour on our 733s in passenger operation based in the middle of Europe. However, that was 8 years ago. A lot of that depends on lease rates, regulatory framework, average airport and airway fees and of course fuel costs.