PDA

View Full Version : Chief Pilot Positions

shon7
13th Apr 2002, 20:51
How are Chief Pilot Positions determined at airlines?

What are the powers and duties of the chief pilot?

Finally, some airlines have a pilot on the board of directors (mostly US airlines). However, this person is rarely the Chief Pilot? Why?

Intruder
14th Apr 2002, 20:11
Management recruits/selects the Chief Pilot.

In the US the FAA sets minimum standards:

FAR 119.67

(b) To serve as Chief Pilot under Sec. 119.65(a) a person must hold an
airline transport pilot certificate with appropriate ratings for at least one
of the airplanes used in the certificate holder's operation and:
(1) In the case of a person becoming a Chief Pilot for the first time ever,
have at least 3 years experience, within the past 6 years, as pilot in
command of a large airplane operated under part 121 or part 135 of this
chapter, if the certificate holder operates large airplanes. If the
certificate holder uses only small airplanes in its operation, the experience
may be obtained in either large or small airplanes.
(2) In the case of a person with previous experience as a Chief Pilot, have
at least 3 years experience, as pilot in command of a large airplane operated
under part 121 or part 135 of this chapter, if the certificate holder
operates large airplanes. If the certificate holder uses only small airplanes
in its operation, the experience may be obtained in either large or small
airplanes.

His duties generally fall under the category of "good order and discipline", assisting the Director of Operations in carrying out all his regulatory responsibilities, and whatever else management tells him to do.

Generally those airlines who have a Pilot on the BoD have one to represent interests of Line Pilots, not management. For the Chief Pilot to have that seat would be a conflict of interest.

411A
14th Apr 2002, 21:16
Conflict of interest?
No.
Our Chief Pilot represents...management, period.
The line pilots get out of line, they get told off, pronto.
They don't like it...they can look for another job.
Simple as that.
Works good, lasts a long time.

'%MAC'
14th Apr 2002, 22:40
Conflict of interest?
Absolutely.
Our chief pilot represents the brainless idiots and is a charter nominee of the Darwin Award. (It’s been that way at every airline I’ve worked for)
He toes the management line without a thought of his own.

Works like crap, people leave, training costs skyrocket, airline goes bankrupt, no one sheds a tear.

411A
14th Apr 2002, 23:27
'%MAC'
So, you must have a better idea....spill the beans, son.

'%MAC'
15th Apr 2002, 05:33
Well Sir, I mean no disrespect. As you set up the format, I was drawn in to provide an alternate view based upon the same template. This proved to be more an exercise in entertainment for myself rather then posting any material of great relevance. However, I do find inequities in the system that can be redressed. Changing the name of the current job description would go a long way to clarify the rôle of the chief pilot, perhaps Management Liaison Pilot (MLP). Chief Pilot could be reserved for the holder of seniority number 1, or maybe that should be Chief Line Pilot (CLP). The fact is that long gone are the days when Dick Merrill and his type deserved the moniker Chief Pilot.

As for changing the management of an operation, that is rather difficult as the FAA mandates certain posts be filled. Robert Semler wrote a compelling book, “Maverick” in which he introduces the notion of democracy, in its very real sense, to an organization. This would be an intriguing concept to the running of an airline. I’m sure the FAA would not object as they never stifle growth, their mandate is to promote aviation....

“Bureaucracies are built by and for people who busy themselves proving they are necessary, especially when they suspect they aren’t” (Semler, 1993, p. 188).

Son Of Piltdown
15th Apr 2002, 07:16
I sometimes think these geezers get promoted via the local Lodge.

This is in 'Blighty' of course . . .

411A
15th Apr 2002, 07:28
Can't speak for other companies, but our Chief Pilot was selected for 1) technical knowledge [15,000 hours in the aeroplane, a good start], 2)ability to get along with both crews and management, 3) standardisation of operating procedures, 4) he wanted the job and is good at it....end of story.
Oddly enough, respected by crews....and the regulatory authority concerned. A good combination. We absolutely have no room for primadonnas.

Intruder
15th Apr 2002, 18:40
I wish our chief pilot was selected for those qualities! The last 2 were apparently selected because he was the most management-friendly of the few who even wanted the job at all...

I once thought the Chief Pilot was supposed to be the Line Pilots' advocate to management. Recent experience has proven that theory false...