PDA

View Full Version : MDA during visual app

qwsa
26th Nov 2012, 10:31
Hi,all
What should i insert in MDA field if i am going to perform visual approach?
Cheers

BOAC
26th Nov 2012, 10:38
Do you need to?

Breakthesilence
26th Nov 2012, 10:47
The most appropriate is N/A

mad_jock
26th Nov 2012, 10:53
BOAC there is all manner of ****e out there for this one.

There is a requirement for the SAFA checks to have something on your Plog declaring your minima. If its not there its a finding.

As far as I can tell if the ATIS states to expect xxx approach but you get a visual before getting cleared for it you stick that minima in the box. If you go visual before any mention of what type of approach you are likely to do you still need to stick something in or they get thier knickers in a twist.

Personally I just make something up usually adding 500ft onto the airport elevation or just fill it out with some approach for that runway. But I can see that coming unstuck if the inspector wasn't a pilot and realising it was a load of rubbish just to keep the paperwork right.

Some folk stick VIZ in the minima box as well as the App box. Would work 90% of the time but I am sure the French would have an issue with it if you got SAFA checked.

I-2021
26th Nov 2012, 10:58
Hi,

you may leave it blank or insert any minima related to any let down procedure in use as you can't be 100% sure that you'll get the approval to fly the visual approach (unless there are no published procedures obviously). Whatever you want to do it's technique anyway. Some people leave it blank, some insert 500 or 1000 ft to have a wake up call from the auto callout function to check the stabilisation. None of this is required anyway and may be misleading if you don't brief it correctly.

Enjoy.

I-2021
26th Nov 2012, 11:05
Hi mad_jock,

how can the SAFA check which minima you did insert in the MDA field ? If they ask you a post flight printout only the procedure inserted will be shown (ILS, VOR, whatever), not the MDA or the Wx of the Approach page.

Cheers.

mad_jock
26th Nov 2012, 11:25
Lord only knows and as operating pilots we all know its a load of rubbish.

All that some inspectors are interested in is that the Plog is complete and there is something in everybox. The fact that whats in the box is blatantly useless and as the previous poster said N/A is neither here nor there.

A number in the box is all they are looking for, if it relates in someway to one of the approaches at the airport even better.

A and C
26th Nov 2012, 11:40
Your company's mistake is having a box on the plog that has to be filled in, my answer to your problem is to have the box removed from the plog.

Or even better get an EFB, we have gone all electronic, I am told that this results in much confusion for the SAFA inspectors as we have no paper what so ever on the flight deck ( apart from my Telegraph !).

mad_jock
26th Nov 2012, 11:52
No can do, I have tried to get shot of it, along with other bits an bobs and the NAA that issues the AoC seems to think its a EASA requirement. And no I haven't gone looking to find out if that is rubbish either because even if it is they won't change it.

I am sure the OP is in a similar situation.

BOAC
26th Nov 2012, 11:55
Well, of course, if there is a BOX to fill............................... I think I would have to put MSA in it.

Sad days.

A and C
26th Nov 2012, 11:57
We even have all the certificates on the EFB along with an electronic certificate authorizing the carriage of all the certificates electronically.

Oh ! And from next week my Telegraph is going onto the iPad.

mad_jock
26th Nov 2012, 12:57
:ooh: your a funny man A&C in my dreams.

seat 0A
26th Nov 2012, 13:11
What's a "plog"?
We don't write anything down anymore about our approaches.

nick14
26th Nov 2012, 13:16
We use 500agl as that is our stabilised approach gate.

I-2021
26th Nov 2012, 13:16
Sorry i misunderstood the Plog as being the post flight printout but it's not. We don't it either, but thanks for the heads up :ok:

mad_jock
26th Nov 2012, 13:26
Plog is Pilots log ie the log you use in flight to record fuel checks ETA ATA and clearances etc

what next
26th Nov 2012, 13:41
Some folk stick VIZ in the minima box as well as the App box. Would work 90% of the time but I am sure the French would have an issue with it if you got SAFA checked.

In our company we put "VIS" in there and this has never been an issue with (French) SAFA or any other inspectors. If I were such an inspector, I would rather make a finding of every arbitrary and unexplained figure I find there...