PDA

View Full Version : IFR arrival - grounding of aircraft at an airport

ralphmalph
26th Nov 2012, 08:49
Ladies and Gents,

Under what circumstances would VFR/VMC aircraft be held on the ground at an airport during the arrival of an IFR flight in VMC conditions?

I fly at Al Ain in the UAE and we have been discussing the requirement to remain on the ground during an IFR arrival.

Any help/enlightenment would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Ralph

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Nov 2012, 09:25
There could be a thousand reasons - or maybe 1001. Why not talk to ATC at the airport and find out from the horses mouth?

ralphmalph
26th Nov 2012, 09:48
Heathrow,

I am aware that there are a multitude of reasons. I am not entirely sure of the background, just trying to understand. I am attempting to understand, and bridge the gap with some FAA colleagues.

I thought it might be something to do with the flight being IFR and requiring a greater separation. The weather here is generally 8/8 Blue, so IMC/IFR is not a player.

My only experiences have been in large UK airports where landing jet traffic has been landing and I have passed behind and in front of large jets.

Heathrow is a good example of this. Here, if there is an IFR arrival.....nothing is permitted to move.

Ralph

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Nov 2012, 10:04
Ralph. It does seem a bit extreme but each airfield has different rules and the controllers are, presumably, following their local instructions.

I used to work at a busy UK airfield and if there was a Royal Flight, which was very common for us, a nearby RAF airfield would stop all their departures and arrivals for 15 minutes either side of the RF! Meanwhile, we carried on as normal.

Hope you get a satisfactory answer.

mad_jock
26th Nov 2012, 10:08
Its more to do with who is controlling at a the time and the country you are in.

Cultural differences and all that stuff.

It works the other way as well. IFR inbound getting put into the hold with a ETA of 45 mins because there is a SEP doing circuit training. And the local controller won't clear you for approach until its finished. An ex-pat comes on the tower and all of a sudden you are cleared in with the traffic in the circuit.

I am pretty certain that GCAA rules do allow VFR traffic to mix with instrument inbounds but some controllers will always take the easy option. Which might be unfair because there is more than likely a whole heap of poo heading there way if the IFR inbound is delayed or there is an incident.

There is more than likely history behind it when some VVVIP inbound put in a complaint about the traffic delaying them and nobody now is willing to risk any chance of them getting the blame for that happening again.

If there are any ex pat controllers in the tower and try and have a unoffical chat with them and see what the lay of the land is. What you really don't want is that you appear to be critising the locals or thier standard of controlling. That will only end in tears.

Guy D'ageradar
26th Nov 2012, 12:32
Ralph,

If upsetting the locals is your worry, I suggest arranging to meet a few of the expats at a local "liquid refreshments establishment" - always found that to be one of the best ways of discussing such things.