PDA

View Full Version : RT passed. Thank you.

Allerby
13th Apr 2002, 18:54
Both RT Theory and Practical passed this afternoon.

Thank you to all that sent words of encouragement, especially EVO7 who sent through the RT safety leaflet which contained an example of the practical test.

The practical was as bad as I thought it would be! I got more fluent and relaxed towards the end.

My CFi has confirmed that I now have 2 years to complete the flying. Lets hope I can do it well before that, subject to a nice friendly bank manager.:eek:

Simon W
13th Apr 2002, 19:17
Congratulations! Still got mine to do. Got my Human Performance exam tomorrow and then maybe do Nav on Wednesday. Don't do what I've done and leave all your exams till the end of the course, now it's all just a mad rush!

Regards,

Simon

Allerby
14th Apr 2002, 14:05
Good luck with the rest of your exams Simon.

I completed all of mine (except the RT) and then went out to Florida on a 3 week, 45 hour flying package. Result - wish I hadn't gone. Did 16 hours in 16 days due to lack of aircraft, lack of instructors and too many students. Lost lots of money and didn't think I would be able to carry on in the UK. Would have been cheaper in the UK and might have had better flying weather! Anyone who says Florida has perfect weather is wrong -we had a hurricane, rain and severe turbulence. Maybe we were just unlucky.

It hasn't put me off learning and I am pleased to find out that I have 2 years from now in which to complete the flying part.

What are your plans?

Regards

Paul

phd
15th Apr 2002, 14:11
Allerby - congratulations!

I did my RT exam last September and passed my GFT in November. RT communication seems to get easier after the practical exam as you are not so conscious of having to say everything just right, for the instructor/examiner. As long as you keep it as short as possible and let ATC know who, what and where you are, where you are going and what you want then the rest seems to fall into place. You should find you can now concentrate more on the accuracy of your flying and navigation, without worrying about the 'talking bit'.

I do still find myself referring to CAP413 every so often to check whether I am using the correct phraseology for a particular request etc. - however I now enjoy the RT rather than being constantly anxious about it.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Simon W
15th Apr 2002, 18:37
Allerby,

I considered going the US route for the flying bit but I'd heard a few horror stories and decided that once I got the licence I wanted to fly in the UK so best to train in the UK. Anyway, I'm coming to the end of the course now, I have my qualifying xc next week. Did my human performance exam last weekend and got my Nav exam this weekend coming. I wish I had done the exams alot earlier on but I guess I was just enjoying the flying too much. :-)

Anyway, best of luck with your flying training.

Simon