PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Online Mass & Balance Q 5158

JDTC
24th Nov 2012, 19:52
Hi - wondered if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction here. For this question, you have to remove the 2,500kg from the trim sheet from Cargo 1. But when I do that, the result is about 33% MAC, whereas the answer is 31% MAC for take off. Any ideas where I might be going wrong? :hmm:

Tinstaafl
24th Nov 2012, 21:55
Go on, give us clue. Post the question *and* your working.

JDTC
24th Nov 2012, 22:09
You need to refer to the trim sheet on the ATPL Online question bank 'additional information' for it to make sense, but the question is as follows:

Question: Contrary to the forecast given in the LOAD and TRIM sheet, cargo compartment 1 is empty. The take-off centre of gravity in MAC % (Mean Aerodynamic Chord) will be located at:?

I simply adjusted the position of the existing %MAC on the trim sheet by what it would have been if there was no mass in cargo compartment 1. I get 33%MAC. But the answer is stated as 31%MAC.

Tinstaafl
25th Nov 2012, 06:18
No. You're presuming that the rest of us, who may have done these exams a dozen or more years ago, and without your particular question bank, have the same reference material. *You* need to post the information, or a link. You still haven't posted your working, nor anything close to information one would need to solve the question. What load balancing formula did you use? Or was it graphical? In which case, how accurate are you with the graph?

JDTC
25th Nov 2012, 15:23
I've posted all the info that is possible to explain in writing here as the graphical trim sheet is part of the ATPL Online Question Bank and in order to refer to it you will need access (and subscription).

User login - ATPL Online (http://www.atplonline.co.uk/takeexam.aspx?examid=9111933)

In which case you simply type in the question number as specified above Q5158. If you don't already have access, not to worry - someone who does have access might see this post and be able to help. Thanks anyway!

RTN11
25th Nov 2012, 20:33
Surely you're on a registered course and could turn to the tutors for help? That's what you're paying them for after all.

JDTC
25th Nov 2012, 21:04
That's one option, yes! But the elapsed time to get a response over the weekend is understandably long.

I've since found out by looking at the Bristol ATPL forum that the Question Bank answer to this question is in fact wrong, which explains why I was having difficulty understanding how the answer was derived.

A fellow student came to the same answer as me, and a BGS tutor confirms it. Making more sense now....:)

keith williams
25th Nov 2012, 22:12
Looking at the MAC figures 31% and 32% it cannot be an MRJT question.

The CQB has always included a number of questions relating to the LRJT load and trim sheet. But the UK CAA policy has in the past been to exclude these from the exams. So unless there has been a recent change in CAA policy this question cannot appear in your exam.

JDTC
25th Nov 2012, 22:56
Thanks - It seems to be the LRTJ Q's that cause a distraction. Appreciate the feedback so perhaps it will be a non-issue, ta.