PDA

View Full Version : Part 121 or Part 135 for me?

pilotwings21
24th Nov 2012, 02:13
I'm at a crossroads. I have 3100 hrs of military heavy and light jet time. I'm now facing two options: Regionals (Part 121?) flying a CRJ of some kind -or- a BizJet job (Part 135) flying a Learjet or Beechjet 400. I have an interview with both but not sure which one is best. The Part 135 job pays 15k more. The regionals seem to start around 25k a year. :ugh:

Which one would be best if I wanted to go fly big aircraft for a major airline in the shortest amount of time?

Thanks,
PilotWings

Exaviator
25th Nov 2012, 02:44
I have 3100 hrs of military heavy and light jet time.

Based on your previous experience I don't think it would matter that much. I would tend to go for the choice that would keep you interested and suitably rewarded whilst you wait for a break to get into the airline of your choice. It maybe a long wait.

Having said that, additional jet time is probably worth more to you than turbo-prop.

Tinstaafl
25th Nov 2012, 06:07
Both jobs are jet jobs so little difference on that point. If your goal is major airline, then I think the CRJ in a regional is the way to go. The CRJ is rather more 'airline equipment' oriented so +ve score there, unlike corporate jets. You'll be operating under the same FAR rule set and related procedures as the Majors so another +ve. Part 135, or 91 corporate, is a different ball game entirely.

Presuming you get the choice. Otherwise take whichever one offers you a job!

B737900er
25th Nov 2012, 12:14
Do you have to take two written exams to be able to fly part 121 and 135 or just the one?

Tinstaafl
25th Nov 2012, 15:53
One theory exam for the FAA ATP but you have a choice whether you'd like to do one that focuses a little more on 121 ops, or one that focuses on 135 ops. Makes no difference to the privileges of the licence you get - it just lets you do an exam that is more optimised towards an area in which you might be working and need the ATP eg 135 Commuter PIC must have an ATP, as does 121 airline PIC

Intruder
25th Nov 2012, 20:38
IMO, it doesn't matter whether you start with a Part 91, 135, or 121 job. Get the ATP and Class 1 medical cert in any case, so you're ready when the call comes for the "big" job.With your military experience, currency is more important than the type of airplane or operation.

I'd go for the job that pays more. If it goes away before you get the job you really want, you will still have the time/experience as well as the extra $$ in your savings account. The regionals will likely be hiring constantly, and the majors will likely be hiring significant numbers starting next spring, latest.