PDA

View Full Version : JeppFD V2.0

Slopwith
23rd Nov 2012, 19:10
Am I the only one who is not impressed with the latest version of Jepp FD?

I recently updated to version 2 and have to say I do not like it. There are some new features like drawing a taxi route or writing a note on the screen and they have added a night function but personnaly never had a problem with the previous or normal daytime mode on dim but the biggest gripe is they have got rid of the starred favourites and all the charts along the bottom al la JeppTC.
Previously a favourite airport was kept along with the favourite charts (what you did last time?!). Now there are groups for REF,STR, APP, TXI and SID. Selecting one of the groups brings up all plates in the group but now if I just select one to have a look, it has effectively made it a favourite (now called selected). If it was not the one I wanted I have to delete it from the selected group which is a subset. If you hit the new flight, all your favourites-airports, plates are gone.
If I have an arrival or a departure that also has a transition, I can no longer just flick from one to the next and on to approach and taxi. I have to select each of the groups in turn and then the next plate in the subgroup. The great thing about JeppFD V1 was as soon as you landed, having set your favourites in the order you wanted you could scroll along the bottom or just flick to the next chart which for me was the taxi chart.

Would love to be able to roll back. Emailed Jepp and they said it was requested. This is certainly not as friendly for airline ops-take LFPG for instance-a Star with an additional p[ate for transition, have both ILS's ready just in case, then 10-9 then taxi north and south then parking. Before I could have had them all in order and just flicked from one to the next or quickly scrolled along the bottom of my eight favourites but now I wil have to select the group and then the selected eg after landing select TXI then 10-9 then for moe detail slext TXI then 10-9c after landing on 27R then back to TXI to select 10-9b then select TXI to select 10-9g for parking at T2. All that instead of flicking to the next.
This is not a step forward. Also the whole thing has become incredibly slow and very dificult to enter the route as runing so slowly with a keyboard press taking several seconds to register. Any one else haveing the same issues?

Check Airman
28th Nov 2012, 03:10
Thanks for your review. Very interesting indeed. I'm looking at buying an ipad right now for the sole purpose of using the JeppFD. I've seen the last version, and was quite impressed, especially by a lot of the features that you say have been removed.

Thanks for saving me a few hundred bucks!

compressor stall
28th Nov 2012, 07:03
I think it's great.

The main thing is the menu down the left which makes the rest of the screen real estate the correct aspect ratio for the odd sized jepps

goeasy
28th Nov 2012, 10:56
I think it's a fantastic improvement. Although I never used he favourite feature in version 1. The night mode is stunning, as I find the iPad brightness never goes low enough in a dark cockpit.

I find the new version running same speed as the old. But then I cut n paste flight plans from email.

Overall the improvements certainly outweigh any shortcomings. Especially the new Flt plan that doesn't delete all after an airway/waypoint it doesn't recognise.

mgTF
30th Nov 2012, 09:41
night mode and weather are impressive, but they totally ****** up removing favorites.

with huge airports with dozens of charts it is a nightmare.. wonder who is the idiot pilot who tested and gave approval.

LimaFoxTango
30th Nov 2012, 15:20
Anybody running JeppFD on the new iPad Mini? If so, how good is it on the smaller screen?

SAXONBLOKE
30th Nov 2012, 17:27
I'm with Slop, Don't like it. For me the new way of selecting airport charts is not user friendly.

Romasik
2nd Dec 2012, 01:20
So, it's great! Just bring favorites back:)

jimmyg
4th Dec 2012, 01:03
Have to agree the favorite function was a better format.

It would be nice to be able to save routes rather than have to re-type them in for frequent flights. Also would like to see a better way to check communication. Maybe bring back the frequency box for a sector, rather than having to touch at FIR boundary which can be a pain.

A work in progress.

Can never imagine going back to paper charts.

OneTwoTree
14th Dec 2012, 09:51
I can't seem to find the engine out procedures in the charts.....anyone know where they are?

mutt
14th Dec 2012, 10:08
What engine failure procedures? FD isnt customised so it doesn't include airline specific stuff like engine failure procedures. For that we have to upgrade to FliteDeck Pro.

aviatorhi
15th Dec 2012, 22:34
The "favorites" has been changed slightly to "selected" or something like that and is airport and chart type specific. Your commonly used charts are available from there.

AerocatS2A
16th Dec 2012, 11:36
Partly true aviatorhi, the problem is the selected charts reset when you put a new flight plan in so you have to reselect the ones you want. With favourites you had your favourte airports and favourite charts and could arrange them in a sequence that flowed best for you. Can't do that anymore. Over all I think it is better than the previous version but the favourites will be missed.

JliderPilot
18th Jan 2013, 08:56
Anyone having problems in that the menus do not stay in view long enough to select a chart?

I have a brand new iPad with 6.0.1 software and JeppFD 2.0(360) and this problem makes the app unusable. If you are flying to an airport with several arrivals the menu does not stay out / in view for more than 1 second, so scrolling or getting to a sub menu is nigh on impossible.

Have emailed the techsupport so will see what happens.

Wonder if turning off location / ownship might help?

Capt Claret
18th Jan 2013, 13:04
G'day JliderPilot,

I have a similar setup to yours but don't have the problem. I don't have location/own ship turned on.

noneya
19th Jan 2013, 04:45
If you have Jepp subscription already try using Jepp TC instead of FD it has all the love you are looking for as far as your favorites...

Oriana
20th Jan 2013, 09:56
Because it's only in Australia where CTA steps are designed to make it hard for jets to descend 'unmolested' on a 3degree profile.:ugh::ugh:

JliderPilot
20th Jan 2013, 20:42
tech support guys at Jepp sorted me out. I had to remove and reinstall the app. worked a treat.

remembering to take a copy of the reg serial number beforehand

Deep and fast
22nd Jan 2013, 21:27
I hate not being able to swipe through the plates to find what I want!

mgTF
23rd Jan 2013, 13:26
let's make a petition to keep weather and night vision and get the old favorite selection system!!

j3pipercub
31st Mar 2013, 12:10
Just had to restore my ipad after a home button issue and found that JeppFD can no longer be downloaded or installed. Tech Support didnt have a timeframe when it would be back up. Just a heads up.

Salto
12th Apr 2013, 13:27
..any suggestions? I would strongly support getting the old favorite system back!!! Any ideas how we could motivate Jepp to do that?

Capt Claret
13th Apr 2013, 05:17
Jeppesen FD 2.0.6 was available from the iTunes store t'other day. Installed on iPad4 & mini. The iPad 4 had a red Expired 4 April 2013 flag in view. After checking that the install on both iPads was the same, an email to tech [email protected] elicited a response to the effect "deactivate and reinstall" and "let us know if the problem persists".

Problem resolved but it's a damn slow download! :ok:

Salto
14th Apr 2013, 11:02
I wrote to [email protected] and [email protected] there any chance that you revert the changes of JeppFD regarding the handling of favourites and the scrolling along the bottom or just flick to the next chart?

and got the following answer:

Dear Rudolf,
It was a product manager standpoint that we decided to remove these features. We have passed it along to get them added back but as of now they are no longer available. I know this isn’t ideal but we are working hard with the product developers in our company to express the interest our customers have in these features as well as many others. Thank you for your input and I will be sure to pass it along.

Therefore, I believe as more as you guys write as sooner they may go back to the old favorite selection system. :rolleyes:

Airmann
14th Apr 2013, 11:09
There's a version of Jepp FD called Jepp FD Pro. I'm not sure what the difference is but the Pro version is still running the v1 interface.

mutt
14th Apr 2013, 13:29
Jepp FD Pro is more airline specific and allows the storage of company manuals etc, pricing is completely different so dont down load the PRO version unless you have a PRO subscription.

Ottoland
27th Apr 2013, 02:47
For frequent routes I copy-paste the route from Jepp FD to the notes app. Next time I fly the route I copy-paste from Notes app to Jepp FD. Works fine.

Not being able to 'flip' through favourites though is annoying and increases heads down time.

Salto
27th Apr 2013, 12:01
We copy-paste the ATC route from our pdf-briefing document directly into JeppFD, this works well. However, any directs "DCT" and level and speed changes "POINT/N0465F430" must be removed manually.

I thought I would have some more support from you folks regarding the favorite management issue, in order to get Jeppesen motivated to revert to the JeppTC favourite management style. This is a bit disappointing for me…

illusion
27th Apr 2013, 12:32
What would you expect from a Boeing company...they more pressing issues at the moment.

The last terminal update of 434 Megs would download then say poor conductivity, dump the download and start again!! And again, and again. Only way to stop it was to turn the iPad off.:ugh:

Luckily For Jeppesen, I am paying for the bandwidth.:mad:

mutt
27th Apr 2013, 13:40
It appears that they have had big problems with their 2nd to last revision, lots of people got locked out of the APP, Jeppesen then removed the APP from the Apple Store, around here people went about 2 weeks without being able to use the APP. Not a very desirable state of affairs.

Salto
27th Apr 2013, 13:44
... Never touch a running system :=

mutt
27th Apr 2013, 14:16
Just got this....

. With the latest terminal chart update some airports are displaying future effective charts in advance of the AIRAC date in place of the currently effective chart. It is important to validate your charts prior to flying to ensure that all charts are rendering the currently effective charts. At the AIRAC date May 2nd, 2013, all charts will display properly. It is possible to view the currently effective chart by changing the system time back a week.

Would anyone care to tell me how to validate charts prior to flight?

Salto
27th Apr 2013, 14:32
look at the effective date; if the effective date is in the future, the chart is not valid...

Salto
21st Sep 2013, 09:16
Any body already installed the new JeppFD 2.1?

Many features have been added again, like easier selection of SIDs and Stars, Favourites selectable, and two-finger swipe through the Favourite Pages.

To me a good and handy improvement!

AerocatS2A
21st Sep 2013, 11:44
Yeah 2.1 is pretty good. Would be better if the company let us use it!

compressor stall
21st Sep 2013, 12:52
Haven't used 2.1 in anger, but on an iPad 2 it seemed to talk about one second to draw the next chart after the swipe...

Is that the same on newer iPads?

JonDyer
6th Oct 2013, 10:18
Is there any way of re-ordering the plates on the 'swipe' list. I'm thinking primarily the REF sheets?

Jepp FD 2.1 sorts them in alphabetical order but that's not necessarily plate order. This means that to read them in sequence one might need to swipe back and forth. I've tried selecting them in the order I want, but FD just lists them back in their original order. They can't (as far as I can tell) be reordered on the sidebar. Anyone have the answer?

If you get an airport that has a grandiose opinion of its own importance like BCN you are faced with about 14 pages of material. Is it not possible to control the order they list?

If it isn't - does anyone know how a software design team can make an improvement (which swipe definitely is) and yet leave such an obvious defect in the solution? I found this issue (if it is an issue) within 60 seconds of playing with it. Don't they have software testers?

Westnest
6th Oct 2013, 15:49
Picking up custom waypoints harder than ever. No favorites, and also less sensitive(but this might be about my iPad). Well, not "very impressive". But of course there's going to be updates.

mutt
7th Oct 2013, 07:05
The new version had a function where it changed to the taxi page below 40 its, but I'm having problems where it changes to this page at the most inopportune times. Decided to turn the function off.

Mutt