PDA

View Full Version : A320 Go arounds and MCT Single engine

Speedwinner
23rd Nov 2012, 10:29
Hello friends,

pretty new on the ship so i have some questions:

1. How is the best way to do a go around when the GA ALT is below your actual Altitude? Just descend below and then a quick TOGA push followed by a quick pull back into the climb notch?

2. How to level off in a low level alt during GA? When not reaching the thrust reduction alt according fmgc, LVR CLIMB will blink when at alt* right?

3. Imagine a engine stall upon departure, the thrust levers remain in FLX MCT notch. when i do the clean up, will the ATHR engage when? Selecting open climb? Normally you pull back from TOGA notch to MCT notch. But how is it handled when you are already in the MCT notch during the cleanup?

Thanks folks!

PS Coming from the 737 so flying GA was much easier i think:-)

Cough
23rd Nov 2012, 10:48
1. Previous thread here (http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/499398-a320-high-altitude-missed-approach.html)

2. Correct.

3. After accel in open climb, select climb trust, then back to MCT.

Cough
23rd Nov 2012, 10:51
ps. 3. One thrust lever could remain in the MCT gate (option to use TOGA of course), the other (that has had the stall will have been moved IAW ECAM/QRH...)

OPEN DES
23rd Nov 2012, 11:02
2. How to level off in a low level alt during GA? When not reaching the thrust reduction alt according fmgc, LVR CLIMB will blink when at alt* right?

Be carefull here! LVR CLB is a reminder not an order... You might want to keep TOGA for a bit longer sometimes:
ALT* engagement is based on instantaneous vertical speed and the capture/alt acquire trajectory does not take into account the subsequent reduction of thrust to CLB and possible eng fail after ALT* engagement. In other words: once ALT* engages it draws the capture and does not adapt it to a change in aircraft performance/config.
You could find yourself in ALT* with a relatively high V/S and the a/c decelerating.
So sometimes you might want to keep TOGA for a bit longer. In addition if you pull the altitude again whilst in ALT* it will recompute the capture based on the new a/c performance/config.

A bit off-topic here but a nice side note is that due to the ALT* logic we are reminded to retract the speedbrakes before ALT* engages in EMER DES: the capture algorhytm cannot deal with a change in a/c config/performance whilst in alt acquire.

BlackandBrown
23rd Nov 2012, 17:28
Go around from above should only be a discontinued approach in my opinion. In my company ( the biggest Airbus operator in Europe) the recommendation is to only use standard go around procedure from 300 feet BELOW GA alt and below. Within 300 feet of GA alt or above a discontinued approach should be flown. Our procedure is Push to level, select green dot, disarm APPR and use VS to climb/ descend to GA alt. accelerating accordingly. NAV will be flown selected. This is just our company procedure however.

Cough
23rd Nov 2012, 21:51
the biggest Airbus operator in Europe

Wild guess at Lufthansa?

Speedwinner
25th Nov 2012, 15:36
Thanks for helping me out!

Just one more thing: Question: when im doing a low level go around and the level off Alt is below the GA acceleration Alt und ALT* comes on and LVR CLMB starts to blink and i place the thrust lever on CLB, what speed is commanded? Clean? Actual speed when ALT* engaged?

Thanks so much!

SW

BlackandBrown
25th Nov 2012, 21:00
I don't think you'll find a level off of less that 1000'. AMS is the lowest I know at 1500'. If you're at easy the standard acceleration is 1000'. If you're single engine then it's first stop alt, no level acceleration before or MSA so your question isn't relevant. The speed commanded will be dependent on whether there is a speed constraint. If no constraint then see DSC 22 30-80-40 p 3/4 where it says:

The SRS law maintains the current speed at Go-around engagement, or VAPP, whichever is higher. Nevertheless, the SRS speed target is limited to VLS+25 kt, in a two-engine configuration, and VLS+15 kt, in an engine-out configuration. When the SRS mode disengages, the target speed becomes Green Dot speed.