PDA

View Full Version : Gloster Meteor

nzhills
22nd Nov 2012, 07:17
Hi
Does anyone know if there is design / production data on any mark of Gloster Meteor?
Regards
Mark

DaveReidUK
22nd Nov 2012, 07:47
Does anyone know if there is design / production data on any mark of Gloster Meteor?

"Design/production data" is a bit vague, and could cover a lot of things.

Could you be a bit more specific ?

noooby
22nd Nov 2012, 10:02
You mean like this from wikipedia?

Gloster Meteor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Meteor)

I've only worked on NF11/TT20 so can't comment on other variants. They are bigger/heavier than you think though, specially when you see one next to a Spitfire!

nzhills
23rd Nov 2012, 08:12
Hi Dave
The kind of data I was after would contain dimensioned drawings and materials.
Mark

nzhills
23rd Nov 2012, 08:16
Hi Noooby
NF11/TT20, mmm, I'll take the first one, (since the TT20 was a converted NF11). Anyway, I am looking for dimensioned drawings and materials, (I expect these will be L series aluminiums).
Mark

noooby
23rd Nov 2012, 17:02
From your user name I thought you were in NZ, but then I looked where Stevenage was.
If you were in NZ I could steer you toward a complete set of manuals (flight/maintenance/parts) for the NF11/TT20.
I'm sure the info you need would be in there somewhere.

All I remember was that it was nicer to work on than Spitfires, which I really didn't enjoy working on all that much, but still decidedly British, with lots of BA nuts and bolts and that peculiar British smell.

It also had a black painted cockpit that was very dark and easy to lose things in!!!

Which Mark are you interested in? Fuselage length differs between early and late singles, and again with the two seaters and the night fighters.
Wingspan also differs with 2 different wingspans available.

F8 was most common (one flying in Australia). There is a T7 and an NF11 flying in the UK.

mike-wsm
23rd Nov 2012, 20:19
Dunno where the drawings etc went when Glosters closed down but I think RRHT at Patchway might be able to point you in the right direction.

Bristol Branch - Rolls-Royce (http://www.rolls-royce.com/about/heritage/heritage_trust/branches/bristol_branch.jsp)

nzhills
24th Nov 2012, 08:17
Hi noooby

I haven't updated my details. Your correct, I was in St. Evenage, working for Astrium. That as a while ago though. As you have speculated I've returned to New Zealand, home.

So, manuals, you know of a set. Could you tell me where these are?

My fathers' fondest memories were of his first posting, 29 squadroon at Tangmere, flying NF11's. I've wondered so many things about the Meteor, spring tabs, how were they set up, was the tail boom really longer on the NF's etc.

Reading between the lines, did you work on the Air Atlantique NF11?

mike-wsm, thank you for the RRHT possibility. I worked for RR MAEL and the heritage trust site was always a refreshing place to go and look at. This was when it was in the late 90's. I expect things have changed, if not been sold off. Does your username mean you are partial to one of the latest offerings from Winchester?

mike-wsm
24th Nov 2012, 08:24
nzhills - Weston super Mare, where old Bristolians go to die. :E

Mechta
24th Nov 2012, 13:08
NZHills,

Try searching for a book specifically about the Meteor. A quick look on a website named after a South American river came up with several.

Ask a question on here in the 'Aviation History and Nostalgia' sub-forum if you want to know which books give facts and drawings and which are mainly books of photos. I'm sure you will find plenty of people there who have worked on them too.

Googling "Gloster Meteor 3 view" should find you more than you will know what to do with.

NutLoose
24th Nov 2012, 13:17
Register on the flypast forum too, as some people on there are involved with them,

Linky

Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums - Powered by vBulletin (http://forum.keypublishing.com/index.php?)

Ask in the Historical section

Also google " gloster meteor scale drawings " then look at the images on google.

goudie
24th Nov 2012, 14:05
It also had a black painted cockpit that was very dark and easy to lose things in!!!
Amen to that! I was a liney on NF11's in Germany '56. The oxygen economiser was under the seats and an absolute pain to change. I once dropped a 4ba nut in the process and dully reported it to the F/Sgt. ''Don't worry lad'' he said, ''I don't want that aircraft 'til tomorrow morning, you've got all night to find it!'' Which I duly did.
First aircraft I ever flew in.
Apologies for thread drift.

noooby
26th Nov 2012, 03:33
nzhills, you have a PM with a phone number to call.