PDA

View Full Version : Flying School/Club Website

JUST-local
20th Nov 2012, 19:59
I am hoping for some ideas and input from current PPL students and PPL's.
What would you like to see on a school/club website?
How much information on the various basics would you like to see, lots or keep it simple.
Thanks for any input.

Maoraigh1
20th Nov 2012, 20:20
Have a look at this website. In particular, click on "Aircraft", then pick one at random and click on "Weight and Balance" - you'll get an Excell spreadsheet for that aircraft. Very usefull when I rented from them.
Colorado Flight Center | Colorado Flight Center (http://www.coloradoflightcenter.com/)

riverrock83
20th Nov 2012, 23:02
As with most websites (or anything marketing related), you need to work out who your target audience is, and cater to them.
I suspect you might have

"Trial Lesson" Customers
You are looking to provide information on what you get in a trial lesson, options (2 or 4 seater), what to bring with you and what to expect. Perhaps a talk through what might happen and some videos?
New Student Customers
You might give information on the courses provided (PPL / NPPL). Average costs & time scales (with lots of caveats). The sylabus, equipment needed, medical, exams, etc. And a way to discuss it with your CFI (a phone number for a 1 & 1 chat). Club facilities (wifi?)
Further Training Customers
CPL / IMC / IR(r) / IR / tailwheel / complex / glass panel / refresher / revalidation. These are a more knowledgeable bunch, and are likely to be more interested in price, aircraft and availability. More likely to want to chat through the options rather than trust a website. Perhaps some recommendations from previous graduates would be useful and some numbers completed. Perhaps Bios of the instructors.
Training Members
Aircraft information (such as mentioned by others such as manuals & weights and balance), Booking system for instructors & planes, links to key information (CAP413?), training documents (need a login to access?), links as per non-training members, social info, invites to "sit in the back"
Current non-training members
Aircraft booking links (if online), links to weather / notams, social information and information on flyins, group information, such as if shares are available, invitations to fly somewhere with others (so one can fly there, one can fly back), a place to leave contact details
Curious Bystanders / Spotters
Aeroplane details, picture gallery

I'm sure others can think of many more things...

Of course - once you have all this information & get it all sorted, it will all be obsolete again... :sad:

JUST-local
20th Nov 2012, 23:07
Excellent, thanks so far :ok:

ZuluFoxtrot
21st Nov 2012, 11:51
I would personally like to see 'flying wives'. Its a 5 hour course for non flying partners that would enable them to land the plane should anything happen to their flying partner.

Also lots of photos and 'meet' the instructors.

Good luck!

ZF

phiggsbroadband
21st Nov 2012, 13:20
Hi, one of the best things to have on your web-site would be a good web-cam, with a good hi-definition picture (at least 768 x 430 pixels.). If this gives a clear view of the sky, and windsock / signals square, it can be used by pilots to plan their flights and visits.

Some good weather station software is also a good idea.