PDA

View Full Version : flight to hong kong and china

baobab72
16th Nov 2012, 07:21
Hi folks
i have a flight to hong kong and shanghai in a week or so, i am not too familiar with that area and i would like to make sure i have got my altimetry setting procedures straight!
within Chinese RVSM atc instructions will be given in meters since they adopted the metric RVSM, and then the conversion chart must be referenced to, keeping the altimeter readout in feet - a 30m error is considered to be acceptable.
Based on your point of entry a buffer zone is then provided to adjust your altitude to the CFL - as a rule of thumb +100ft when entering metric RVSM from non metric RVSM for instance from kazakhstan, -100ft when exiting metric RVSM.
Below the transition level/altitude are you still meant to use conversion chart or you can switch the altimeter to the meter setting? and will they use QFE?

What about Hk?
Any other tip?

Many thanks

Diego

SloppyJoe
16th Nov 2012, 08:15
PMs sent,,,,,,,,,,

On the beach
16th Nov 2012, 08:26
Hi Diego,

If entering Hong Kong airspace from China you will generally be transferred to Hong Kong at a metric level, depending on the entry point and Hong Kong ATC will transition you to an imperial level, if necessary. Similarly, leaving Hong Kong for China you will generally be climbed to a metric level, depending on route, by Hong Kong ATC prior to handover to Chinese ATC.

There are some areas of potential confusion e.g. overflying traffic landing Shenzhen will be on Shenzhen QNH whilst departing traffic or overflying traffic into China will be on 1013.2, but this should not bother you as it is an ATC responsibility.

You will be required to meet strict level requirements out of Hong Kong before entering Chinese airspace, which will generally only be a problem if you are flying an A340-300 at MTOW.

Have a look here for Hong Kong requirements: Hong Kong Air Traffic Control (http://www.hkatc.gov.hk)

I can't help you with altimeter setting procedures procedures in China, but so long as you can translate metric levels into imperial levels correctly and vice versa you should be okay.

Hope that helps.

On the beach (ex-VHHH)

bekolblockage
24th Nov 2012, 23:05
within Chinese RVSM atc instructions will be given in meters since they adopted the metric RVSM, and then the conversion chart must be referenced to, keeping the altimeter readout in feet - a 30m error is considered to be acceptable.

One of those wonderful examples of 'Confusionism' that they thrive on.
"To fly in our metric airspace, you must fly in feet" :ugh: