PDA

View Full Version : Light signals

doobs115
15th Nov 2012, 17:56
Good evening all

Anyone got any good tips for putting to memory the tower light signals to a pilot?

And on another note what are your opinions for learning morse code?

Cheers

RTN11
15th Nov 2012, 18:40
Just learn them by rote and commit them to memory. Then print them out and take them with you, because you will always forget.

Again, print the Morse code out and take it with you. If you are having to decode Morse, it means you are indenting a beacon, and if IFR with jepp plates then the Ident is written in Morse right in front of you, so no need to learn anything. If you wanted to learn, the old fashioned audio cassettes are pretty good, I got one off ebay and made the effort, but there really isn't any need.

hvogt
15th Nov 2012, 18:40
Learning Morse code, though not required by JAR-FCL, is a very good idea. Imagine you were in a terribly stressful situation where you have almost no mental capacity left and you would have to look down on your chart to read these tiny dots and dashes, because you can't otherwise identify a nav aid. Now, imagine you were in the same stressful situation and would be able to just tune in the frequency and identify the station by its audio identifier. I think it's obvious learning Morse code makes the job a lot easier.

As I am writing these lines, I see you have posted your question in the private flying forum, and, seeing your question in the context of the light signals, I'm beginning to think you had Morse signals from the tower in mind. In this case, my answer would be different. Since it is extremely unlikely you will ever observe Morse signals from an air traffic control tower, it would be a waste of time to learn Morse code.

Should you, however, plan to go for an instrument rating later, I'd strongly recommend to learn Morse code.

doobs115
15th Nov 2012, 19:24
Thanks for the replies

My question should of been constructed a little better i suppose.

I did mean the light signals i.e green white and red rather than morse code from the tower.

I do like the idea of the tapes but believe it or not i would not have anywhere to play it from :hmm: playing it back in the car would be good, i would just have to find a digital version.

Thanks again for your time
Much Appreciated

Cusco
15th Nov 2012, 19:58
If they can transmit voice messages on the VOR frequency (e.g. Stansted ATIS on CLN VOR 114.55) why do we need morse at all?

Why can't a voice just say 'this is the Clacton VOR' on frequency.

24Carrot
15th Nov 2012, 20:28
For the light signals, take a crib sheet with you.

If you are night flying, remember that red and white look the same in a pale red light, so you might want to write the word RED, not just have a red colour blob.

Been there, done that...:ugh:

Zulu Alpha
15th Nov 2012, 20:29
Why can't a voice just say 'this is the Clacton VOR' on frequency

Because there are all those pilots out there who haven't bothered to get level 6 English proficiency so they won't understand.

BackPacker
15th Nov 2012, 22:16
Imagine you were in a terribly stressful situation where you have almost no mental capacity left and you would have to look down on your chart to read these tiny dots and dashes, because you can't otherwise identify a nav aid.

I agree in principle that you need to identify a navaid after tuning. But in a very stressful situation, where I would need to free up mental capacity, it's one of the first things I would skip. Belts and braces are fine, but not if it means you screw up in another department.

Furthermore, I found that by knowing just eight or so morse code letters (A, B, E, M, N, O, S, T come to mind right now) I can verify (note: not "identify" but "verify") 90% of the three-letter identifiers because at least one of the letters is in the right place. For the rest, well, there's a list of morse codes on my kneeboard somewhere. I know it's not foolproof but it's good enough for me.

As far as the light signals are concerned, well, you need to learn them for air law, and then forget about them. Green = good, Red = bad and white means something along the lines of "do nothing, return, we want to talk to you". But in reality the VFR comms failure procedure for the majority of controlled airfields is to leave the CTR and fly to an airfield where they can receive non-radio traffic. And these uncontrolled fields will not give you light signals anyway. (But if you squawk 7600 chances are that the FIS for your area will place a "heads up" call to the uncontrolled field, so they know you're coming and can warn other circuit traffic.)

(And the light signals, in the unique case that you do need them, are printed in all the flight guides anyway.)

HowlingMad Murdock
15th Nov 2012, 22:28
doobs115 - If ya'll are mainly a 'visual' learner this may be of interest.
I too wanted to commit the correct signals to memory and the airfield I fly from does not usually operate at night. I bought a really cheap torch with a white/red/green beam to practice tower/aircraft signals - from a well known internet auction site. :) Worked for me!

Keef
15th Nov 2012, 22:52
The morse written on the plates is enough for the great majority of cases.

Very occasionally, you will hear a VOR and want to know "what's that?" If it's not got an ATIS on it (usually a good clue) then knowing that dadidi di da spells DET can make life a lot easier.

I learned morse in 1959 for an amateur radio licence and have used it regularly ever since. It startles examiners when I don't look at the plate to check the ident (I tell them, so they don't assume I've not idented it). However, I don't think I'd recommend anyone learning it just for aviation, these days.

kenguan
15th Nov 2012, 22:58
Does anyone know the official document when flying VFR & your aircraft has radio failure, and you need to land at a controlled airfield?

In the end you look for the light signals, but what I'd like to know is the official procedure prior to getting the light signals - I believe it's something like:

1. Fly deadside above circuit height, looking out for traffic
2. Join downwind, then fly base & final, flying over the runway 300ft AGL
3. Rock wings, cycle throttle & flash lights to get tower's attention
4. Continue circuit & lookout for light signal.
(or something like that)

But where's the official publication for the above procedure?

Big Pistons Forever
16th Nov 2012, 01:41
Learning Morse code,

Should you, however, plan to go for an instrument rating later, I'd strongly recommend to learn Morse code.

New pilots have a lot to learn. You are IMO utterly wasting your time learning morse code. The dots and dashes are written right on the chart so instead of investing the not inconsiderable time required to learn morse code I strongly recommend you use the time to learn things that are of practical value like for instance addressing the near universal lack of understanding in PPL's on how the electrical system of an aircraft works, or the carb ice max danger temp dew point spreads, or well I could go on and on.........

BackPacker
16th Nov 2012, 08:49
But where's the official publication for the above procedure?

There might be an official procedure somewhere, but to a very large extent this will be superseded by local traffic regulations. And these are contained in the country AIP. Either in the GEN or the AD section.

Here's an example for my home base, Rotterdam, which can be found in the Dutch AIP, AD EHRD 2.22

4 VFR FLIGHT PROCEDURES AND REGULATIONS

[...]

4.5 Communication failure procedures
4.5.1 General
Select SSR code 7600.

4.5.2 VFR outbound
In case of communication failure adhere to the departure instructions. If the departure instructions contain a clearance limit in the CTR, act in accordance with paragraph 4.5.4.

4.5.3 VFR inbound
4.5.3.1 Via ROMEO and MIKE Arrival
In case of communication failure before joining the circuit leave the CTR according to the ROMEO or MIKE Departure and divert to an appropriate aerodrome.
In case of communication failure over or after a position from where to join the circuit (this is past the reporting point PAPA) execute a circuit for the last received and acknowledged runway as short as practicable. Make a full stop landing and vacate as soon as possible. In case of go around execute a similar circuit (be aware of the fact that your flight path could interfere with the flight path of other aerodrome traffic).
4.5.3.2 Via HOTEL Arrival
In case of communication failure before joining the circuit leave the CTR according to the HOTEL Departure and divert to an appropriate aerodrome.
In case of communication failure over or after a position from where to join the circuit (this is past compulsory reporting point TANGO) act in accordance with paragraph 4.5.3.1 item b.
4.5.3.3 Via a different route to the field
In case of communication failure before joining the circuit act in accordance with paragraph 4.5.4.
In case of communication failure over or after a position from where to join the circuit act in accordance with paragraph 4.5.3.1 item b.
4.5.4 VFR crossing the CTR
In case of communication failure leave the CTR via the shortest route, maintain altitude until outside the CTR, do not cross runway centre line or ILS areas and proceed to an appropriate aerodrome.

Note that there is no reference to light signals, nor reference to any ICAO procedure.

riverrock83
16th Nov 2012, 09:30
For the UK see http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-10286AA18BA7FC1D175AF14353FF81C6/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/AIP/ENR/EG_ENR_1_1_en_2012-11-15.pdf

section 4.2

But local procedures may override this. I don't know where local procedures are published in UK, but my club have told me a unique procedure to use at my airfield.

gemma10
16th Nov 2012, 09:37
When I wanted to be an A license radio ham many moons ago you had to learn morse and pass the exam at 12wpm. I bought a random morse generator for about £15 and in 4 weeks I got up to exam speed. However you wont need anything like that speed for VOR/NDB/ILS interpretation. Its like riding a bike and I havent forgotten any of it. Probably still able to buy one from RADCOM the magazine of the RSGB. ;)

DB6
16th Nov 2012, 09:44
When all's said and done, green=good, red=bad. For the rest, carry a crib sheet.
Morse - not essential nowadays, most maps and approach plates have navaid decodes on them. If you do still want to learn it there are audio courses available with all sorts of lovely stuff like Elephants In Straw Hats Ten Miles Off (EISHTMO = . .. ... .... - -- ---). No charge for that last bit by the way.

BackPacker
16th Nov 2012, 09:54
most maps and approach plates have navaid decodes on them.

Come to think of this... GPS doesn't use morse code.:E

18greens
16th Nov 2012, 09:55
All i ever remember being told was 'Flashing means f*** off'

sevenstrokeroll
16th Nov 2012, 09:55
you will pick up morse code in the normal course of events by ID'ng VOR/ILS and NDB

and we do have some vor's that say their ''name'' via voice.

if your radio has a BFO make sure you know how to use it

localflighteast
16th Nov 2012, 10:51
18greens - that's all I remember too!
I learnt them just enough to pass my PStar exam then promptly forgot them

They are written on my clipboard in my kneeboard
That'll do as far as I'm concerned !

BackPacker
16th Nov 2012, 11:29
18greens - that's all I remember too!
I learnt them just enough to pass my PStar exam then promptly forgot them

I now remember I was visiting a tower somewhere a while ago. They had one of these signal lamps (with quite a layer of dust on them, I might add). And they had a nice little crib sheet attached to the lamp that listed all the light signals.

So it's not just pilots who promptly forget the signals after their exams. It's the ATCOs too.

India Four Two
16th Nov 2012, 15:48
They had one of these signal lamps (with quite a layer of dust on them, I might add)

Backpacker, you've reminded me of a night-flight as passenger in a friend's C140. The radio failed enroute so when we arrived, he did a circuit and go-around to attract the attention of the tower - there was no other traffic. After the second go-around, with still no signals, he landed off the third approach. Later when phoning the tower to report in, the controller apologized for not giving us any signals. He said that the lamp had been unused for so long, that it fell apart when he picked it up! :)

RTN11
16th Nov 2012, 19:07
Depends where you do your night rating, but when I'm teaching one I always try to get the tower to give us the light signals, usually some red so we fly a go-around then green to land, just to show the student what it looks like and where to look at their home field.

It's surprising just how difficult it is to see, especially the red one when there are probably already a few red lights on top of the various obstacles around.

Sir George Cayley
16th Nov 2012, 19:47
Try this for size CAP 637: Visual Aids Handbook | Publications | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=136)

SGC

pudoc
17th Nov 2012, 00:13
I've filled an A5 folder with loads of useful stuff that I will probably forget, it just sits in my flight bag until I need it.

I have things like light signals, morse code, marshalling signals, VMC minima etc. It's not an excuse for not knowing it but it's better than not knowing it and not having a reference on board.

abgd
17th Nov 2012, 22:47
Learn them, forget them, then learn them again a few times over. Eventually they'll sink in. I keep my air law book in the flight bag, and read over a list of things I read every time I fly, simply because I know there are certain things like signal squares and light signals I'm prone to forgetting.

My impression is that even CPLs and flight instructors are prone to forgetting certain things - this being one of them. The only time I've seen a flashing red light, the pilot I was with promptly stopped the aircraft, whereas in fact it means 'move clear of the runway'. Luckily, we were already clear of the runway. Perhaps the tower had the signals mixed up - why else would they have shone a flashing red light at us when we were already clearly off the runway?

JAKL
17th Nov 2012, 23:40
I might of missed it in the earlier posts, but have any of you noticed the morse code printed in the bottom right hand corner of the half mil chart?

As for the lights, you only have to remember that the flashing lights are different to the traffic lights you use everyday, if you drive that is.

Red for stop or giveaway (circling unless rotary)
Green for go. Flashing green is inbetween so join in (the pattern/circuit)
Flash red you'll end up dead, so p... Off.