PDA

View Full Version : julian

silvermoor
14th Nov 2012, 17:07
Currently looking for some advice regaurding training as a pilot. I would be interested in a career in civil aviation eventually. I am 34 years old, carpenter joiner by trade and own a bispoke kitchen company. I have always been interested in flying but for various reason never fulfilled my dream. What sort of time frame would i be looking at, am i to old, and would it be better to learn overseas and take my exams in this country. I would be greatful for any advice.

RTN11
15th Nov 2012, 09:48
Is this just trolling? :}

Start by looking in the professional pilot training section, and using the search function. It's not a great search function, so often googling what you want as well as pprune will bring up a more relevant thread.

But simple answers:

1. about 2 years minimum from "zero to hero" if you gave up everything and trained full time

2. No, but old enough that it will be more of a challenge both learning so much, and getting a job afterwards. Not impossible though

3. Both have pros and cons, you need to research that for yourself. My opinion would be if you want to work in the UK, do all of your training in the UK.

taxistaxing
15th Nov 2012, 10:09
Bit harsh there RTN! Although this thread might be better in the prof pilot training section, rather than FIs.

To the OP, first decision you have to make is modular versus integrated. Read at length the threads on here about that.

Whichever route you take, it's worth doing a PPL first to establish whether you actually like flying and whether you have any aptitude. When you finish this you have the first building block of modular training done, or could switch to an integrated course if you wished.

I'm going down the modular route myself as I have an existing career which is funding my training. Therefore 'integrated' (which = giving up work) isn't really an option for me. So far I'm enjoying it - nearly finished my hour building and currently doing my ATPL exams. It's a long, tough road though with no guarantees.

If you're self employed (I assume you are) that will be a massive help as you can easily fit work around your training, which can be more difficult with an office job.

RTN11
15th Nov 2012, 10:20
I thought I was going easy compared to what some might do, I've seen mods post similar advice on similar threads then simply lock them, or the whole forum becomes clogged with the same OP. :sad:

If you decide modular is for you, then get on with your PPL. In fact, have you even taken a trial lesson yet?

If this is a genuine post, I didn't meant to discourage it, but if you want advice on getting a PPL or trial lessons, probably best off in the Private Flying section.

If you want advice on taking it further with CPL, or integrated courses, probably best off in the professional pilot training section.

This section doesn't get looked at a great deal, and tends to be people discussing instruction rather than students asking advice.

TheiC
15th Nov 2012, 19:28
silvermoor, you have a Private Message.

MartinCh
16th Nov 2012, 13:00
just get the mods to MOVE it to wannabe section of pprune..
pleeaase.