PDA

View Full Version : EASA regulations with lapsed FI rating

mct777
8th Nov 2012, 15:30
Hi chaps,

I have a lapsed FI rating (by a couple of years ) and am wondering how easy is it to get back now we have EASA. The main question is that due to it being a rating, is it now lost if it expires by more than 3 years, which I now understand is the case with type ratings under EASA.

Thanks,

Tom

Curtis E Carr
8th Nov 2012, 21:46
It is no longer a rating. It is a certificate.

From Annex I (Part-FCL) to Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 ("The Aircrew Regulation"):

FCL.940.FI FI - Revalidation and renewal

(a) [...]

(b) [...]

(c) Renewal. If the FI certificate has lapsed, the applicant shall, within a period of 12 months before renewal:

(1) attend an instructor refresher seminar;

(2) pass an assessment of competence in accordance with FCL.935.

mct777
9th Nov 2012, 12:13
Thanks for the reply. So how many years can my FI rating (or cert) go lapsed for without me lpsing it altogether under the new EASA system??

pipertommy
9th Nov 2012, 13:57
what is the difference between a certificate and rating?

Whopity
9th Nov 2012, 18:38
New terminology versus old terminology

pipertommy
9th Nov 2012, 19:43
Lol. Just to add confusion again

Curtis E Carr
10th Nov 2012, 08:37
So how many years can my FI rating (or cert) go lapsed for without me lpsing it altogether under the new EASA system??

If the certificate is lapsed, it is lapsed. There aren't degrees of "lapsedness".

mct777
10th Nov 2012, 16:19
So in theory I could have a current JAA ATPL and have a 10 year + lapsed JAA FI (unrestricted) rating (or cert now under EASA) and all I would need to do is an assesment and seminar?

Thanks for your replies,

Tom

fireflybob
11th Nov 2012, 11:01
Would need to check but if the FI certificate has lapsed by more than 5 years there is a requirement for refresher training from FIC approved instructor - not sure whether this has changed with all the EASA nonsense