PDA

View Full Version : Where to fly in Florida ?

SkyCruiser
12th Apr 2002, 12:48
Hi guys.

I wonder if you guys could give me some advice on flying schools around the Page, Fort Myers and Cape coral areas of Florida?

I am going out there in September for a holiday and fancy cutting around the sky in a 172 etc.

SC...:cool: :cool: :eek: :cool: :cool:

(I just edited the main subject heading as i think you will get more of the right people reading it if they see its about Florida. BRL.)

notice
13th Apr 2002, 01:43
You say flying SCHOOLS but not clear whether you really want training or simple hire.
If it's training, the CAA stated recently that there are only 3 JAR PPL approved places in the USA/Florida which are:
Ormond Beach Aviation, Orlando Flight Training & European Flyers

All 3 have a Brit. conection and, if you just want an hour-building or hire package, they may assist but there are hundreds of American schools and hirers in Florida-many are clearly cowboys.
I am not recommending any of the above named schools but, unlike the rest, all 3 have been recently inspected and approved by the CAA

Keef
13th Apr 2002, 16:29
Under two months ago, I did an FAA PPL/IR at Naples Air Center - which is just down the road from Fort Myers - and was delighted with them.

Excellent instructors, aircraft in pretty good nick, prices reasonable, and an excellent airfield to fly from.

There aren't many places nearer the Everglades, if you want to go alligator spotting!

NAC were then (and I'd bet still are) OK for JAA. Whether the CAA realise that or not, I don't know, but they were certainly teaching an awful lot of Europeans for JAA licences in February/March. Sometimes there was more Dutch being spoken in the pilots' room than there was English.

SkyCruiser
13th Apr 2002, 20:05
Thanks guys,

I am just after a couple of hours playing around in a puddle jumper! I don't need any training, just a checkout will do.

BTW how long will it take me to drive from Fort Myers to Naples?;)

piotr
19th Apr 2002, 10:59
Bit of advice - as I have just come back from flying for a month in Florida.

Naples Air Center are a very good SCHOOL - and easy to get to. I lived in Fort Myers and drove daily to Naples - only about 40 mins easy highway drive. Also, Naples is a pleasant place to stop off and have lunch or whatever after you drop the a/c off again.

However, while I would recommend NAC for training, if it's only a/c HIRE you are after, there are much cheaper places around than NAC (and Page). For example, at Winterhaven, hiring a PA-28 was some $15 p.h. cheaper - makes a big difference when clocking large number of hours. In fact, I landed at several small/insignificant airstrips where one could hire an aircraft cheaper that the "well known" facilities such as NAC. If cost is important to you, when you are in Florida, check some of these smaller fields out - usually there is a resident flying school/hire facility.