View Full Version : Westland Wessex

WGray92
7th Nov 2012, 11:23
Hello,
I am an Aerospace Engineering student at the University of Liverpool. I am currently undergoing my 3rd year project, it is on the simulation of a Westland Wessex. I am wondering whether anyone has any good information or technical data on the Wessex which would help me complete the project.

Examples of Information Needed:

Rotor Nominal Speed
Blade Twist
Blade Mass Distribution
Blade Tip Sweep
Blade Tip Droop
Centre of Gravity
Airfoil Boundary Nodes

Any data similar to this would be high useful and I would be very grateful
Thanks a Lot
Will

Wirbelsturm
7th Nov 2012, 13:57
Try the Fleet Air Arm museum at Yeovilton or the Royal Navy Historic flight, I think they might have one flying.

sycamore
7th Nov 2012, 20:15
The Wessex was developed over 5 different Marks . ie MK1(HAS), HC2,HAS3, CC4,and HU5;there were also WX 60 for civilian use /export,and WX mk31 for military export. However ,the HC2,CC4,HU5 and WX60 ,were twin-engined,powered by 2 R-R Gnome FT Turboshafts,each capable of 1350 shp,but the main rotor transmission was limited to 1550 shp(3200 ft.lbs TQ) essentally the same basic aircraft ,just different coloured uniforms. The WX 1 was powered by a Napier Gazelle FT Turboshaft of 1450 shp; the WX3 had a Napier Gazelle of 1600 shp,and the Mk31, a Gazelle of 1540 shp. Max loaded weight were 12600lbs for Mk1,13500lbs,possibly 13800 overload for others. Rotor speeds were 226 ? for MK1 and 230 for others . Rotor diameter 56ft; rotor twist possibly 4 deg,no blade tip sweep, mass distribution ?/boundary nodes ? Aircraft Cof G would be nominally thru the rotor mast;,blade C of G probably about 25% MAC, but you should enquire at Westlands for that stuff. No Wessex,of any Mk are currently airworthy..

Blade section is NACA 0012 from root to tip...
Try the Heli Museum at W-S-M for other info..