PDA

View Full Version : Starting PPL and want to become a pilot

uniandpilot
6th Nov 2012, 16:19
Hi there,
I want to become a pilot, but dont have the around £80000 to go to a flight school.

Im studying in university at the moment and starting my ppl part time. every one or two weeks

If my pilot career fails iv atleast will get a degree and can do a boring office job:ugh:

im looking at doing my ppl with this company here

Halfpenny Green Flying Centre : Private Pilot Training PPL : Commercial Pilot (http://www.hgfc.co.uk/index.php)

i want to know will i be able to get a job as a pilot by doing the ppl and then the cpl. or will i have to do something else

I also want to know where i can take the medical test in the west midlands as i wear glasses and dont want to waste money paying for lessons if it isnt possible at all, my eyesight isnt that bad but just to make sure.

I also heard that you have to carry two pairs of glasses with you while flying.is this correct

thank you in advance and sorry for the long first post but im exicted:)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Nov 2012, 16:54
You will receive replies here but I would suggest that the best place to ask would be at your flying club. They should certainly be able to help with where to take the medical exam.

Good luck with the PPL and the future.

uniandpilot
6th Nov 2012, 16:56
Thanks for the quick reply. Its going to be a few months until i get all the money for the ppl as i would like to do a intensive course after my first year at uni finishes. Il call them up tomorrow see what they say

V_2
6th Nov 2012, 17:55
Use the search function above and you will find tons of information for all your questions. It is well worth spending an hour or two absorbing the site, in order to get a balance of (very!) different opinions. But in short to your questions...

1. Don't have £80k? Well lucky for you BA FPP is about to open. Cathay also offer an excellent opportunity.

2. The CPL will not directly allow you to become an airline pilot. You will have to do additional courses such as IR, MCC, JOC. This is called the modular method, it is cheaper, but arguably airlines prefer integrated. CPL means you can fly for money (aerial work, parachutists, pleasure flights etc) and with a FI rating mean you could instruct.

3.The class 1 medical has to be done at Gatwick. I'd get it now so you know whether being a pilot is a possibility, or unfortunately unobtainable. The good news is a class 1 allows you class 2 privileges for 5 years. Dont get a class 2 and then pay again full amount for class 1! And yes if you require glasses to fly, you must always carry a spare!

Do your PPL, and most importantly enjoy it! As for commercial aviation, spend your time at uni reviewing options and come up with a plan! Good luck

uniandpilot
6th Nov 2012, 18:57
hi there, thanks for the info guys.

Is the Gatwick the only place I can do the class 1.
There is a doctor at the local airport that does that class 2. Il have to phone him up wether he does class 1.

also im overweight at the moment and losing weight slowly, dont think i will be able to lose 6 stones to the ideal weight for my weight. im 16 stones at the moment.

also my left ear is a bit weaker at hearing compared to the right, how will this affect my chances at getting the license
and how much does it approx cost

bagurxvi
6th Nov 2012, 21:22
I think you may do a P.P.L. and after a C.P.L. if you get a medical. If you don't have many money try to past the selection process in British Airways or the cadet program in CTC. Use a search engine and look for cadet program. In any case get the degree at your University that will help to get pilot jobs (http://pilotwork.net/?p=29) when you will finish too.

It is correct you may find a pilot work (http://pilotwork.net/pilot-work-requires-one-of-3-aviation-license-types/) with just the C.P.L. but to get I.R. and M.E. rating will help a lot. Indeed with two pair of glasses on board you may fly. My ex flight instructor failed the IR exam because the examiner asked her if she got on board the second pair and she haven't so she failed the first exam.

The Grim EPR
6th Nov 2012, 21:54
The INITIAL class one must be done at the CAA in Gatwick. It costs around £350.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MedSchemeOfCharges2012.pdf

The following class one medicals can be done with your AME locally (although some doctors can only do class two, so best to check)

I think that they get grumpy if your BMI is 35 or more at the initial class one. I could be wrong there.

It's a lot of money, but it is best to go and get that out of the way before you start spending tons of money on your training.

Good luck!