PDA

View Full Version : CAA Class One Medical

Matty Cooper
2nd Nov 2012, 21:32
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the Class 1 medical, as I can't really find much info on, I was also wondering with the recent change to EASA if there will be any changes to it?

Because I'm currently hour building towards my CPL, I didn't have any problems at all with getting the Class 2 medical but I know the Class 1 is much more stringent!

So I was just worried about failing it, I have had no health changes since the Class 2 medical, my hearing and eye sight has not deteriorated. Would there be anything else that involved that could possibly prevent me from gaining it?

Many Thanks!

Mark 1
2nd Nov 2012, 23:31
Nothing is changing significantly from the published JAR FCL3 (http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/606984.pdf)

There are some tighter eyesight limits and an audiogram etc., but not anything that should concern a reasonably healthy individual.

Your current AME can probably give you a good idea of any potential issues especially if they perform class 1 renewals.

The CAA medical department are very helpful. If there is a condition you are not sure about, get an assessment of it and send it to them to review; such as a specsavers ophthalmic report. They will then be able to advise before you fork out for an initial class 1.

riverrock83
3rd Nov 2012, 00:24
Start here:
Initial Class 1 (Professional Pilot) Medical Examination | Medical | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527)
General recommendations are to get it sooner rather than later just in case they find something which excludes you from a career as a pilot (and so you don't waste your money hour building).
However, as Mark1 says, if you ask them, then most AMEs can give you an idea if you are likely to have anything to worry about (mine said no... :}). If you don't have any known conditions, then you should be fine. If you do, then you'll need to do some research and bring documentation with you to Gatwick.
Oh - and if you are worried about something specific, rumours are that they are very approachable on the phone.

UV
3rd Nov 2012, 17:17
Your first, and most important lesson, Matty...

Dont ever trust any advice any department at the CAA gives you over the phone. Its always subject to misunderstandings (not necessarily your's).

Always get a query answered in writing.You then have a comeback when required (and that may be quite often)!

Now, you should book immediately for an Initial Class 1. No if's, no but's.

You will be sorry if you spend more money hour building and then they find an unknown problem. Even their website gives this advice.

Good luck.